Quakes Fall to Inland Empire in Opener of Final Regular-Season Series
Rancho Cucamonga, CA - To kickstart the final regular-season series of 2019, the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes suffered a 5-3 defeat at the hands of the Inland Empire 66ers.
In front of a sellout crowd on Friday night, the Quakes (80-55, 39-28) fell somewhat flat, as the Sixers (55-81, 29-38) held them to just five hits on the evening.
Rancho brought the contest within a couple of runs on several different occasions in the series opener, but Inland Empire seemingly snatched the tally right back every time. Devin Davis, out of the ninth spot in the 66ers lineup, led the way with a 3-for-3 night. He fell a double short of the cycle, driving in a pair of runs.
As the lone offensive bright spot for the Quakes, Starling Heredia (10th) reached base in all four of his plate appearances, including a solo jack in the bottom of the ninth.
John Rooney (5-2) produced his toughest start as a member of the Quakes' starting rotation. He shouldered the loss in 4.2 innings, surrendering four earned runs on nine hits.
On the other side, Kyle Bradish (6-7) was effectively wild. Despite issuing six free-passes and two wild pitches, he grabbed the win in five frames. The Quakes were only able to score two runs (one earned) on three hits.
Connor Higgins completed what was a near flawless night for the Inland Empire bullpen, earning his third save of the year. Between Higgins and Nathan Bates, they shoved a combined four innings of one-run baseball.
In game two of the series, LHP Austin Hamilton (6-4) is set to make the start for Rancho. On the other side for Inland Empire, RHP Travis Herrin (4-6) will take the ball.
Don't miss out on ExtraMile Post-Game Fireworks on Saturday night! In addition, the Quakes will play back-to-back 2:05pm games on Sunday and Monday, respectively, to wrap up the regular season. Get tickets at rcquakes.com or by calling (909) 481-5000... Go Quakes!
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Storm Clinch Postseason Berth, Begin Playoffs September 4 and 5 at the Diamond - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Offensive Outburst Leads Ports Past Giants 12-5 - Stockton Ports
- Rawhide Clinch the Second Half Championship of the Northern Division - Visalia Rawhide
- Giants Fall in 11 Innings, Win Streak Snapped - San Jose Giants
- Ports End Skid with Thrilling 2-0 Win in 11 - Stockton Ports
- Vernia Silences Bats in 9-2 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Fall to Inland Empire in Opener of Final Regular-Season Series - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- JetHawks Miss Playoffs - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.