Preview: WFC2 Battle LA Galaxy II on Sunday for Top Spot in the Western Conference
Following a week off from USL match-play, second-place Whitecaps FC 2 face Western Conference leaders and fellow MLS club rivals LA Galaxy II at UBC's Thunderbird Stadium on Sunday. A great crowd is expected out in the sunshine and tickets are still available. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. PT.
The sides have clashed once already this season down at StubHub Center on April 22, a match that ended with WFC2 coming back from 2-0 down to earn a 2-2 draw on the road.
WHITECAPS FC 2
Coming off a nail biter against Tulsa Roughnecks FC last week, WFC2 are starting to click in all areas of the field. The combination of young prospects from the USL roster with burgeoning MLS recruits like Ben McKendry and Marco Bustos has seen the side defeat some tough rivals this season. Among those character-building matches was their recent road win against Swope Park Rangers. Last week, the team combined that youth and experience, with Daniel Haber scoring in the 90th minute off an Erik Hurtado assist to defeat Tulsa Roughnecks FC 3-2.
Though the team has been having real success up front lately, their back line has been keeping everything in order defensively as well. Centre backs Sem de Wit and Cole Seiler have combined in the back line in five of the sides first six games. Together, they share a low total of seven fouls committed and just three yellow cards; they are proving a steady partnership in the 'Caps defense, and bring experience to the middle of their back four.
On the other hand, the two centre backs are flanked by the energy of left back Kadin Chung. The 17-year-old continues to move up into the attack for the side, while containing players on defence as well. Last match, the Port Coquitlam native showed some tricky footwork in the attacking end to set up Kyle Greig's WFC2 opening goal in the 67th minute, his first assist of the season. With his performance, Chung was named to the USL Team of the Week.
Kadin Chung with spins that would make TR-8R jealous #WFC2 #StarWarsDay pic.twitter.com/COa5iW74WC
- Whitecaps FC 2 (@wfc2) May 5, 2016
LA GALAXY II
WFC2 are in for a defensive challenge this weekend with LA Galaxy II leading the league in goals scored. Though they have played nine matches - the most of any side in the league this season - the side has the immense asset of Jack McBean up front. Leading the league with nine goals, McBean has been a fixture in the LA Galaxy camp since 2011. Having played for both their USL and their MLS side, the 21-year-old brings both experience and attacking prowess to the Californian team, and is a force to be reckoned with in and around the box.
His partners-in-crime, fellow forwards Ariel Lassiter and Jose Villarreal, aren't doing too bad on the goal-front either; together, the two of them share five of Galaxy II's 17 goals this season, with Lassiter also taking credit for an assist in Los Dos' 3-2 win over Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. Though both players are currently signed with LA's first team, Lassiter and Villarreal have made six and seven appearances with the USL side respectively, and could make an appearance against the young 'Caps side on Sunday night.
Evidently, both teams are looking threatening up front. With the two sides leading the Western Conference in goals scored, it will be an interesting matchup on Sunday night when they meet once again.
KEEP FIT & HAVE FUN!
With summer just around the corner, summer activities are also on the horizon; biking, hiking, taking a stroll around Stanley Park in the Vancouver sun, there are tons of options for staying healthy and active!
With well-being as a year round goal in the city, Vancouver is coming together to promote health and wellness with WFC2. Join us at Sunday's match for a speaker series focused on sports science used by Whitecaps FC, and visit with some of the local health and fitness stores on site promoting wellness.
Fans can also enjoy food from local food trucks Hungry Nomad and The Dog House, as well as fun activities like face painting, balloon art, live music from The New Shackletons, and the ever-popular bubble soccer match at halftime!
Bike, run, or walk to the match this evening, and join us to cheer on WFC2 as they face conference rivals LA Galaxy II!
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 13, 2016
- Swope Park Rangers Sign Brazilian Midfielder Ayrton Pinheiro Victor - Swope Park Rangers
- Roughnecks Play Swope Park in KC Saturday - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- FC Montreal Faces Bethlehem Steel FC Sunday - FC Montreal
- Preview: WFC2 Battle LA Galaxy II on Sunday for Top Spot in the Western Conference - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Arizona United Picks up Matheus Silva on Loan from San Jose Earthquakes - Phoenix Rising FC
- Preview: Swope Park Rangers to Host Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Swope Park Rangers
- Rhinos Build Roster As They Take On Charlotte This Weekend - Rochester Rhinos
- Defense a Major Key During United's Unbeaten Streak - Phoenix Rising FC
- Timbers, T2, Thorns FC Team up with Local Partners to Present Fifth-Annual Stand Together Week June - Portland Timbers 2
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Seattle Sounders FC 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Wise Beyond Years: Ex-Cornell Star Daniel Haber Helping Guide Whitecaps FC 2 Development - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- USL Weekend Preview - Week 8 - USL
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Travels to Oklahoma City to Face Energy FC - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Charleston vs Toronto FC II - Charleston Battery
- Saint Louis FC Travels to Louisville - Saint Louis FC
- 1st Place LouCity Hosts Saint Louis to Open Kings' Cup - Louisville City FC
- Hammerheads Host Trial for Dominik Behr - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.