Preview: On the Road Again
Hartford Athletic heads on the road for the first of three consecutive road matches to finish the regular season. The first task is a tough one against Group F leader Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC. In order for Hartford to have a chance at winning Group F, they will need to pick up 3 points on Saturday night. You can support the Boys in Green with the rest of the Hartford Athletic faithful at our Drive-In Watch Party at the Shops at Farmington Valley! For tickets and more information, click here.
HARTFORD ATHLETIC (7-3-1) at PITTSBURGH RIVERHOUNDS SC (10-3-1)
Date: Saturday, September 26th
Time: 7:00 PM ET
Location: Highmark Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA
Local TV: WCTX MyTV9
Streaming: hartfordathletic.com/watch or ESPN+
International Viewers: YouTube
LAST TIME OUT:
In Atheltic's final home game of the season, Hartford and Philadelphia Union II tied 1-1. In the first half, Hartford won a total of six in the first half, but it wasnt until the 7th in the 45th minute, where Sam Strong's powerful header off of a Danny Barrera corner put Athletic in front 1-0! In the 75th minute, Conor McGlynn's brother, Jack, finished off a slick passing move to tie it up at one a piece. In the 88th minute, a cross found the foot of Conor McGlynn at the backpost and Dillon stadium erupted. To the dismay of the Athletic faithful, the goal was taken off. Sam Strong wrongfully pushed the Union ll goalkeeper over and the game stayed at one all.
TAKE YOUR PICK:
To say there is variety in the Hartford Athletic attack would be an understatement. 14 of the 21 outfield players who have played in a match this season have scored for Head Coach Radhi Jaidi's side. What's more remarkable is only three players on the squad have scored multiple goals this season, Alex Dixon (6), Ever Guzman (4), and Gabriel Torres (2). Hartford's style of play has proven that you don't even need to be an outfield player to be part of the attack, as Goalkeeper Parfait Mandanda assisted on the first goal of the season, a long delivery to Guzman who took advantage of a misplay by the opposing keeper for a goal.
KEEP IT CLEAN:
Goalkeeper Parfait Mandanda recorded a clean sheet in his first ever match with Hartford Athletic, a 1-0 win over New York Red Bulls II. It took him until last Sunday to get his second. Mandanda made 3 saves in a 3-0 victory over Philadelphia Union II, the second most saves he's made in a match this season.
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
Hartford Athletic, Ever GuzmÃ¡n, F, #99:
Cheno, as he is affectionately known by his teammates and social media followers, will be fully rested entering this match and you can be sure Head Coach Radhi JaÃ¯di's squad will be focused on getting him the ball in the attacking third. Cheno is second on the team in goals scored this season with 4, but hasn't scored since August 2nd, a match where he recorded a brace in a 4-1 victory over Loudoun United FC. Hartford hasn't scored in two matches against Pittsburgh this season. GuzmÃ¡n will need to get going if Hartford is going to get on the board.
Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, Ryan James, D, #15 :
Most Hartford Athletic fans know Ryan James's name by now. He has recorded braces in both matches against Hartford this season and it seems he can't be stopped when on the pitch. What's worse is realizing that James is actually a defender - and a good one at that. He leads the Hounds in Interceptions and Tackles Won.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT:
Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC have Hartford's number, there's no doubt about that. In the two meetings bewteen the clubs this season, Pittsburgh has twice come away victorious and has outscored Hartford 8-0. The Hounds are in top form coming into this match, winners of five straight and haven't allowed a goal since August 22nd. This could be Hartford's toughest match against Pittsburgh to date, and that's saying something.
Can't watch? Stay in touch with our live commentary @hfdathletic or by following #PITvHFD
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 25, 2020
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match Played on September 23 against LA Galaxy II Following Racist Remark - San Diego Loyal
- Match Notes - SAFC at FC Tulsa 9.26.20 - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs North Carolina FC - Saturday, September 26 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Remaining Loudoun United FC Regular Season Games Cancelled - Loudoun United FC
- North Carolina FC Match against Loudoun FC on October 4 Cancelled - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United FC Match Cancelled - Charleston Battery
- Preview: On the Road Again - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: FC Tulsa vs. San Antonio FC, Saturday, 7 p.m., ONEOK Field - FC Tulsa
- Charlotte Independence v Memphis 901 FC: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Visit Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- What to Watch for with LouCity at Saint Louis FC - Louisville City FC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls 3-1 on the Road to Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- Defender Nicolas Cardona Receives Call up to Puerto Rico National Team
- Hartford Athletic Signs Forward Bradford Jamieson IV
- Forward Sebastian Elney Signs with Hartford Athletic
- Hartford Athletic Signs Puerto Rican International Nicolas Cardona
- Player Profile: Tabort Etaka Preston