SD Loyal Forfeits Match Played on September 23 against LA Galaxy II Following Racist Remark
San Diego, CA - San Diego Loyal Soccer Club (SD Loyal) announced today that they will forfeit their earned point by forfeiting the match it played on Wednesday, Sept. 23's match against LA Galaxy II -which ended in a 1-1 draw-following news that a racial slur was directed at SD player during the match.
"We don't even want to recognize being a part of a match where these types of actions take place", said SD Loyal's Chairman Andrew Vassiliadis. "The Loyal in our name is symbolic of the diversity in our community and as a club we will not stand for this."
During the 71st minute of the match, a LA Galaxy II player used a racist remark (the n-word) towards a SD Loyal player. Multiple referees, LA Galaxy II coaching staff and players were in the area, several of which (admittedly) heard the exchange. The Galaxy player was not disciplined by LA Galaxy II coaching staff or referees and SD Loyal coaching staff did not hear about the incident until the match was over.
The incident happened at LA Galaxy II's home field in Dignity Health Sports Park as both teams were vying for the second-place spot in the Group B standings as the regular season winds down. SD Loyal (6-4-5, 23 points) appeared to be in a prime position to reach the USL Championship playoffs, but LA Galaxy II tied the match after the SD Loyal player, who the slur was directed towards, was sent off for a second yellow card.
Collectively, the club takes this matter very seriously and after learning about the situation in the locker rooms after the fact, the team believes they should've walked off the field with lack of discipline for this action. As a team, they have decided to forfeit the match.
"If there is anything we have learned during the last few months with all the racial injustice matters that have occurred, we have to take action that have consequences when these matters occur", said President of SD Loyal Warren Smith. "I am proud of this organization, its ownership, staff and especially our players for wanting to take such action".
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 25, 2020
- SD Loyal Forfeits Match Played on September 23 against LA Galaxy II Following Racist Remark - San Diego Loyal
- Match Notes - SAFC at FC Tulsa 9.26.20 - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs North Carolina FC - Saturday, September 26 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Remaining Loudoun United FC Regular Season Games Cancelled - Loudoun United FC
- North Carolina FC Match against Loudoun FC on October 4 Cancelled - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United FC Match Cancelled - Charleston Battery
- Preview: On the Road Again - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: FC Tulsa vs. San Antonio FC, Saturday, 7 p.m., ONEOK Field - FC Tulsa
- Charlotte Independence v Memphis 901 FC: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Visit Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- What to Watch for with LouCity at Saint Louis FC - Louisville City FC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls 3-1 on the Road to Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Loyal Stories
- Midfielder Alejandro Guido Returns to SD Loyal
- SD Loyal Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule, Training Camp Begins
- Jordan Chavez Returns for SD Loyal's 2021 Season
- San Diego Loyal's Goalkeeper, Austin Guerrero, Returns for 2021 Season
- SD Loyal Welcomes Forward Niki Jackson