Pitching Staff Throws Gem to Give Kannapolis Win in Vaughn's Debut
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (10-6, 38-46) saw great pitching from their starter and bullpen all Friday night against the Augusta GreenJackets (9-7, 45-39), totaling 13 strikeouts in a 5-0 shutout win at SRP Park.
The Intimidators got on the board first with a Lenyn Sosa single in the top of the third inning, scoring Ian Dawkins(fielder's choice) and Amado Nunez (single).
Both sides were scoreless for the next three innings until the top of the sixth. Andrew Vaughn, Chicago White Sox third overall pick in the 2019 First-Year Player Draft, collected his first hit as an Intimidator with a line drive single to right field. One batter later, Alex Destino hit his team-high ninth home run of the season over the right field wall to put Kannapolis up 4-0.
In the bottom of the sixth, Kannapolis starter Davis Martin (W, 5-7) was taken out, but not after he threw a gem. The former Texas Tech Raider tossed 5.2 innings, giving up just two hits, no runs, and striking out eight on one walk. Tyler Watson came in and pitched a hitless 1.1 innings to maintain the shutout heading into the eighth.
In the top of the eighth, Romy Gonzalez singled on a 2-1 pitch to right field and scored Sosa to extend the Intimidators lead to 5-0.
Lane Ramsey came in to close out the final two innings and struck out four to give Kannapolis the shutout, 5-0.
Vaughn finished the day 1-for-4 with a single, run and three strikeouts. He started at first base.
The Intimidators will continue their series with the GreenJackets Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. and send out southpaw Taylor Varnell (4-3, 2.82 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 5, 2019
- Anderson Has Two-Homer Game in 'Dads Debut - Hickory Crawdads
- Olague Dominates as Rome Defeats Asheville 5-1 - Rome Braves
- Lexington Powers off West Virginia in 11-7 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Pitching Staff Throws Gem to Give Kannapolis Win in Vaughn's Debut - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Olague Steals the Show, Fires CG against Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Six-Run Fifth Inning Drowns Power Friday Night - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Slide by Suns, Retain Gov's Cup - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets Offense Struggles as Kannapolis Wins 5-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Unable to Take Advantage of 'Birds Miscues - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Offense Goes Flat in Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Blank RiverDogs, 4-0, on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 5 at Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 5) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Promise Five-Star, Three-Day Homestand Starting Tuesday - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Hold off Braves 4-3 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
- Sharp's Eighth-Inning Homer Propels Fireflies to Independence Day Victory - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Osik's Big Day Overshadowed by 14 Rome Runs
- Kannapolis Vision Becomes Reality - 2020 Home Opener April 16th
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 4-2 Victory
- Intimidators Not Able to Cash in on 12 Hits against Rome
- Long's Six Shutout Innings Propels Kannapolis to Victory