Pitching Staff Shines Again in Bears' 2-1 Victory
The Yakima Bears beat the Eugene Emeralds 2-1 Thursday night at Yakima County Stadium. For the second-straight night the Bears pitching staff allowed no earned runs in a win.
Bears starting pitcher Daniel Watts gave up his only run in the third inning, an unearned run that gave the Emeralds the early 1-0 lead. Watts, who got the win, lasted six innings while allowing three hits and three walks.
The Bears offense produced one run in both the fourth and fifth innings. After Joe Loftus reached on a walk in the fourth, he advanced twice on wild pitches before Yogey Perez-Ramos plated him with an infield single. Loftus drove in the go-ahead run in the fifth inning with a single that scored Kevin Medrano after he had reached on a single and stole second base.
Neither team sent more than three batters to the plate in an inning after the fifth. Victor Capellan faced six in two shutout innings and Enrique Burgos faced only three batters while earning his third save thanks to a scoreless ninth inning.
The Bears were outhit 4-3 in the win. Joe Loftus went 1-for-2 with two walks, a run batted in, and a run scored. Kevin Medrano and Yogey Perez-Ramos had the other hits.
The five-game series between the Bears and Emeralds is now tied at 2-2 and will be decided Friday night at Yakima County Stadium. Game time is set for 7:05. Bears left-handed pitcher Cody Wheeler is expected to start against right-handed pitcher Justin Hancock of the Emeralds.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 10, 2012
- Bears drop fourth-consecutive series - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver pounds out season high 17 hits to top Dust Devils 10-4 on Friday night - Vancouver Canadians
- Tri-City Takes Third Straight from Vancouver - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Sox Out-Hit Hawks, Lose 3-2 - Everett AquaSox
- Canadians Drop Third Straight To Dust Devils - Vancouver Canadians
- Hawks rally to a win - Boise Hawks
- Pitching Staff Shines Again in Bears' 2-1 Victory - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.