Pirates victorious over Mahoning Valley Thunder
PEORIA, IL - The Peoria Pirates closed out the home portion of their schedule with a resounding victory over the Mahoning Valley Thunder by a score of 76-34 in front of 3465 raucous fans on Saturday night at Peoria's Carver Arena. Wearing special "Guns N' Hoses" jerseys, Peoria (5-9) kept the Thunder (1-13) from rolling.
Luke Drone had a great night at the helm of the Peoria offense, completing 19 of 27 passes for 212 yards and 6 touchdowns. Kent Smith chipped in a TD pass on 2 of 3 passing. Tom Zetts had a rough night under center for Mahoning Valley, getting sacked and intercepted three times each on the way to completing 19 of 36 passes for a pair of TD's.
Dante Ridgeway led the Pirates with 6 catches for 102 yards and 4 TD's. Darren Paige added another 7 catches for 71 yards and a score. Jonathan Schoonover contributed 5 catches with 2 TD's. The Thunder receivers were led by CJ Brewer, who had a whopping 187 yards on ten catches, but just a lone TD. Jermaine Moyer added the other MVT receiving touchdown.
Defensively, Ryan Breiser led Mahoning Valley with six tackles and a fumble recovery. Patrick Wells added five tackles and Tim Cheatwood sacked Drone and had two tackles-for-loss.
Brandon Hampton led a tenacious Pirates defense with 6 tackles and 5 takeaways - 4 interceptions and a fumble recovery, two going for TD's. Josh Ferguson led the pirates with 9 tackles and Josh Harris added 6.5 tackles. Marcus Lewis had 2 sacks for the Pirates.
The Pirates are on the road the final two weeks of the season, including next Friday at Lexington. However, the campaign for 2010 has already started, and season tickets for the next exciting season of Peoria Pirates football can be purchased by calling 309-673-1000.
For more information, visit us on the web at www.peoriapiratesaf2.com or join us on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 11, 2009
- BattleWings Best Yard Dawgz 69-67 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Dawgz lose another close one - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Barnstormers Flatten Iron 69-37 - Iowa Barnstormers
- Pirates victorious over Mahoning Valley Thunder - Peoria Pirates
- Arkansas Wins 57-47 - Arkansas Diamonds
- Wildcats clinch playoff spot - South Georgia Wildcats
- Manchester Wolves Win 59-45 to stay alive in af2 Playoff Hunt - Manchester Wolves
- Arkansas defeats Corpus Christi - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Firebirds Lose To Manchester 59-45 - Albany Firebirds
- Horsemen edge Tennessee Valley, clinch playoff berth - Kentucky Horsemen
- Game Preview (week 16): Stockton Lightning Vs. Central Valley Coyotes - Stockton Lightning
- Midgett to start tonight for Firecats - Florida Firecats
- Lightning Host Central Valley on Saturday - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.