Phoenix Mercury Narrow 2020 Roster to 11 Players
In preparation for a potential 2020 return to play, and at the direction of the WNBA, the three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury has narrowed its roster to 11 players. WNBA all-time leading scorer Diana Taurasi, 2019 league scoring champion Brittney Griner and newly acquired four-time All-Star Skylar Diggins-Smith look to lead a Mercury roster infused with experience and youth, athleticism and shooting, during an offseason retooling. Phoenix's additions include 2014 WNBA All-Star Jessica Breland, 2019 WNBA Champion Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Bria Hartley, Kia Vaughn and Nia Coffey. The Mercury did it all while retaining bright young talent from their 2019 draft class, 2019 WNBA All-Rookie Team member Brianna Turner, Sophie Cunningham, and Alanna Smith.
Returning for her seventh season at the helm of the Mercury is the winningest coach in franchise history and 2014 WNBA Coach of the Year Sandy Brondello.
With the narrowing of the roster, the Mercury has waived 2020 WNBA Draft picks Te'a Cooper and Stella Johnson, along with training camp invitees Olivia Epoupa and Sara Blicavs.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from May 26, 2020
- Minnesota Lynx Finalize 2020 Roster - Minnesota Lynx
- Chicago Sky Set 11-Player Roster - Chicago Sky
- Wings Trade Anigwe, Waive Karlie Samuelson - Dallas Wings
- Atlanta Dream Roster Sits at 12 - Atlanta Dream
- Phoenix Mercury Narrow 2020 Roster to 11 Players - Phoenix Mercury
- New York Liberty Announce Roster Movements - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Mercury's Breland Medically Excused from 2020 Season
- Phoenix Mercury Add Chasity Melvin as Assistant Coach
- Statement from the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury
- Phoenix Mercury Narrow 2020 Roster to 11 Players
- Mercury Welcomes Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Two Draft Picks to Phoenix on Draft Night