Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Midfielder Jack McGlynn to New Contract
February 7, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Philadelphia Union News Release
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has reached an agreement on a new contract with Homegrown midfielder Jack McGlynn. The 19-year-old U-20 Men's National Team player is ensured to be under contract through 2025 with options for 2026 and 2027.
"Jack is another clear example of how our commitment to both developing and trusting our academy players allows the next generation of young talent to excel in Philadelphia," said Philadelphia Union Sporting Director, Ernst Tanner. "He can do special things on the ball, and we believe he is still far from his peak as a player. We are happy to have reached an agreement to keep him with the Union for the next few years and continue his development."
In 2022, McGlynn made 23 appearances (nine starts), becoming the third-youngest player in since 2003 to score off a direct free kick when he notched his first-ever MLS goal against Houston Dynamo on July 30. With three assists, McGlynn held the highest passing percentage (86.4%) on the team, completing 548 passes out of 634 attempts. After another successful season for club and country, McGlynn was ranked No. 10 on MLS' 22 Under 22 list for the first time in his career. Additionally, In the postseason, McGlynn has shown his strong mentality by scoring the final goal in the shootout against Nashville SC in the 2021 Eastern Conference semifinal to help the team advance to the Eastern Conference final against New York City FC, and in 2022 he became the third youngest player to start in an MLS Cup final.
Internationally, McGlynn has earned 11 appearances for the United States Men's U-20 National Team, scoring two goals in 603 minutes. He made his debut at 18 years old in a friendly against Brazil's U-20 National Team on November 10, 2021. His two goals in the CONCACAF U-20 Championship helped the United States qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup and the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris for the first time since 2008. His first goal came against Canada's U-20 National Team, a powerful long-range goal from 20 yards out to even the scoreline in the 53rd minute to help the team remain undefeated in the tournament. McGlynn's second goal came in the final against Dominican Republic's U-20 National Team.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign Homegrown midfielder Jack McGlynn to a new contract through 2025 on February 7, 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 7, 2023
- LA Galaxy Weekly Schedule: February 7-12, 2023 - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Transfer Midfielder Carlos Harvey to USL Championship Side Phoenix Rising FC - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Next Gen Innovation Partnership with CHEQ - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign El Salvador International Defender Eriq Zavaleta - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Promotes Stacy Johns to Chief Operating Officer - Los Angeles FC
- PayPal Park to Host International Friendly Between Guatemala and Panama on March 12 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Midfielder Jack McGlynn to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Defender Nathan Harriel to New Contract
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jakob Glesnes to New Contract
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups
- CF Montréal Edges Philadelphia
- Schedule Announced for 2023 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals