Philadelphia Union Sign Head Coach Jim Curtin to Contract Extension
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has signed Head Coach Jim Curtin to a new, multi-year contract extension. In his eighth season as head coach, Curtin is the second longest tenured coach in Major League Soccer behind Peter Vermes.
The Union will be holding media availability Wednesday June 16 at 12:30 p.m. ET with Sporting Director Ernst Tanner and Head Coach Jim Curtin. For those who would like to join please click HERE and enter Union2021 when prompted for a password.
"Jim has undoubtedly proved himself to be one of the best coaches in the league. He has led this team to new heights year after year," said Union Sporting Director, Ernst Tanner. "Jim remains committed and passionate about winning trophies as well as the development of our young players. Under his coaching, the club has broken multiple records, won their first trophy, and has seen two young Homegrown players transfer to Europe and secure regular USMNT appearances. He is an intelligent leader who continues to strive for more and we are delighted to extend his contract."
Curtin, who has been the head coach of the Union since 2014, has guided the team to new achievements and records. This past season, Curtin led the club to their first ever MLS Supporters' Shield with a 14-4-5 record. The club also became the only team in MLS history to win every home match in a single season (9-0-0) and ended the year with the fewest goals allowed in MLS, as well the fewest goals allowed in a single season in Union history. The season culminated with Curtin being named the 2020 Sigi Schmid MLS Coach Of The Year, the first time a Union head coach has won the award.
Curtin also helped the club earn its first ever Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League berth. He subsequently led his team to victories over Costa Rican giant Deportivo Saprissa and Atlanta United FC to reach the SCCL semi-finals. Previously, Curtin took the Union to the US Open Cup final in 2014, 2015, and 2018 and to the semi-finals of the MLS Is Back Tournament in 2020. Curtin has been in charge for four of the Union's five club playoff appearances and has reached the postseason four of his past five seasons in charge, including 2016, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
In 2019, with Curtin at the helm, the team saw their best season in Union history when they set new records for most points (55), wins (16), goals (42), assists (59), shots (475), and shots on goal (172), all while capturing their first-ever playoff win in club history against the rival New York Red Bulls. Between the 2019 and 2020 seasons, he was named MLS Coach of the Week eight times.
Curtin is the all-time Union leader in total wins, regular season wins, playoff wins, and matches coached for the Union.
Jim Curtin's Coaching Achievements:
Philadelphia Union U.S. Open Cup Runner-up - 2014, 2015, 2018
Best season in Union history (points, wins, goals, assists) - 2019
MLS is Back Tournament semifinalist - 2020
Supporters' Shield Champions - 2020
Sigi Schmid MLS Coach of the Year - 2020
First-ever Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League berth - 2020
*As a player Curtin was named: Big East Rookie of the Year (Villanova, 1997); Three-time team MVP (Villanova); First team All-Big East Selection (Villanova, 1999 &2000); MLS All Star (Chicago Fire, 2004), Defender of the Year (Chicago Fire, 2004).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 16, 2021
- LAFC Loans Eight Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against LA Galaxy II - Los Angeles FC
- MLS Stadium Boom Reaches Record Proportions: Week 8 News and Notes - MLS
- Sounders FC Announces Public On-Sale for 2021 Partial Season Ticket Packs and Single-Match Tickets - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Names Zep, Inc. Official Cleaning Partner - Atlanta United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club and ESPN 94.9 to Debut 'NSC Backstage' - Nashville SC
- LAFC Inks New Partnership with Rockstar Energy Drink - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent: Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United to Play CF Montreal at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale on June 23 - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Head Coach Jim Curtin to Contract Extension - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Daniel Gazdag scores his first career MLS goal; Andre Blake and the Union earn their seventh clean sheet
- Philadelphia Union Defender Kai Wagner Named to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- Kai Wagner scores his first goal of the season from a free-kick
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesús Bueno
- Forward Kacper Przybylko scores his sixth goal of the MLS regular season