Petes Finish with Best Record at OHL Pre-Season Showcase
(Peterborough, ON) - The Petes Pre-Season presented by CIBC Wood Gundy Peterborough is off to a hot start after finishing the annual OHL Pre-Season Showcase with a tournament-best 2-0-1 record.
The Maroon and White earned an 8-5 win over the Saginaw Spirit on Friday afternoon and came back from a 2-0 deficit to overcome the North Bay Battalion 3-2 on Saturday. They closed out the weekend with a 7-6 shootout loss to the Kitchener Rangers in a Sunday matinee.
Sophomore forward Cameron Butler led the Petes and the OHL in scoring in the first weekend of pre-season action with 4 goals, 2 assists, and 6 goals in 3 games. British import Liam Kirk also played at a 2-point per game pace, registering 3 goals, 1 assist, and 4 points in 2 games. Third year centre Nick Robertson had a hat-trick in his only game of the weekend on Friday. Defenceman Declan Chisholm had the club's most assists with three in two games.
Petes rookies also had solid showings in their first appearances. Mason McTavish, Peterborough's first round, fifth overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, tallied 1 goal and 2 assists for 3 points in 3 games. Defenceman Josh Kavanagh scored from the blueline, while Peterborough natives J.R. Avon and Curtis Trolley put away their first OHL markers.
Petes Pre-Season presented by CIBC Wood Gundy Peterborough continues on Friday, September 13 at 7:30pm when the Petes visit the Niagara IceDogs in Lincoln. They'll face the same IceDogs on Saturday, September 14 at 7:05pm at the new Cavan Monaghan Community Centre in Millbrook.
Single game regular season tickets will go on sale on Friday, September 6 at 9:30am at the PMC Grant Thornton Box office in person, by phone at (705) 743-3561, or online. To view the Petes' full schedule, click here.
Flex pack holders can redeem their vouchers for regular season games beginning August 30 at 9:30 am. Season tickets are available starting at just $270. For more information about season tickets and flex packages for the 2019-20 Petes season, contact Mike at (705) 743-3681 x 263 or by email.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Petes Finish with Best Record at OHL Pre-Season Showcase - Peterborough Petes
- Barber Poles Win Big over Sudbury in Pre-Season Matchup - Ottawa 67's
- Clarke Hat-Trick Carries Colts to Win in Owen Sound - Barrie Colts
- Colts Outpace the Bears 6-3 in Pre-Season Opener - Owen Sound Attack
- Saginaw Turns Back Troops - North Bay Battalion
- Bulldogs Bounce Back, Defeat Otters 2-1 in Exhibition Rematch - Erie Otters
- Rangers Down the Petes 7-6 in a Shootout - Kitchener Rangers
- Frontenacs Sign Braden HachÃ© to Standard Player Agreement - Kingston Frontenacs
- Spirit Soar Past Battalion in Final Preseason Showcase Game - Saginaw Spirit
- Tucker Robertson Commits to Petes - Peterborough Petes
- Firebirds Post 7-5 Victory in Guelph Saturday - Flint Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peterborough Petes Stories
- Chris Williams Named as this Week's Peterborough Petes Local Minor Hockey Volunteer
- Petes Provide List of Winners from Jersey Numbers 1 - 11 in Who Wore It Best? Campaign
- Kelly Hrudey Headlines Thursday Night Live Presented by Subway
- Mason McTavish and Brian Zanetti Named to the NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch List
- Mike Martone Named as this Week's Peterborough Petes Local Minor Hockey Volunteer