Parreiras Nets Three to Lift Tropics to 8th Straight Win, 8-5 over Visiting San Diego Sockers
LAKELAND, Fla. - Victor Parreiras scored a second-half hat trick - helping break open a 1-1 game at intermission - as the Florida Tropics rolled to a franchise-best eighth straight win in downing the San Diego Sockers 8-5 Saturday night.
The Tropics improved to 13-1, best in the Eastern Conference, while San Diego fell to 11-4, second in the Major Arena Soccer League's west.
Matt Clare added two goals, while Gordy Gurson - who had two pretty assists on both Clare goals - added a goal of his own. Anthony Arico and Drew Ruggles added the other Florida goals.
The Tropics best penalty-kill unit in the league played a large role as well, killing three San Diego man advantage chances in the first half.
The Sockers, who got three sixth-attacker goals to make it respectable in the end after falling down 8-2, got two goals from Cesar Cerda, and singletons from Brandon Escoto, Hiram Ruiz and Taylor Walter Bond. It was the Sockers fourth game in six nights, and the end of a six-game road trip for San Diego.
Hugo Silva remained perfect in goal, improving to 8-0. He came into the game as the goals against average leader in the league. Parreiras, with his three goals, now is two points away from becoming the Tropics all-time leading scorer with 97 points, one behind Ricardo Diegues who played three years with Florida before signing this past off season with Utica.
Florida will stay home to host Rochester next Saturday, Feb. 15, before traveling to Milwaukee to take on the defending league champion Wave Sunday, Feb. 16. The game against the Lancers will be televised live on WTTA-TV Great 38 in Tampa, and both games will be live at www.masl.tv. For ticket information, visit fltropics.com, or call 863-240-0101.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 8, 2020
- Sidekicks Drop First of Two-Game Series - Dallas Sidekicks
- Wave Dominate Rival Comets Saturday Night - Milwaukee Wave
- Sockers Run out of Gas in Florida - San Diego Sockers
- Ambush Take the Heat - St. Louis Ambush
- Wave Crash Comets in Milwaukee - Kansas City Comets
- After Strong First Half by Lancers, Blast Pulls Away to Win - Rochester Lancers
- Parreiras Nets Three to Lift Tropics to 8th Straight Win, 8-5 over Visiting San Diego Sockers - Florida Tropics SC
- Blast Defeat Rochester 14-5 - Baltimore Blast
- St. Louis Ambush Loan Adamson to Orlando - St. Louis Ambush
- SeaWolves Add Veteran Midfielder Corey Adamson on Loan - Orlando SeaWolves
- Tacoma Stars Outscore the Cal Express - Turlock Cal Express
- Stars Sweep Season Series with Turlock with 10-3 Win - Tacoma Stars
- Fury Shutout Outlaws - Ontario Fury
- Mesquite Outlaws Lose Game vs. Ontario Fury, 7-0 - Mesquite Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Tropics Lookk for Fifth Straight Win to Start Season as Dallas Sidekicks Visit Saturday
- Tropics Will Play Four Times in February; Will Host San Diego, Tacoma and Ontario in Mini-Tournament
- Tropics Place Pair - Ian Bennett and Drew Rugglels - on All MASL Week Two Team
- Arico Nets Pair as Tropics Win Four Straight to Open Season, 7-4 over Kansas City Comets
- "IB 26" Does It Again: Bennett's OT Goal Lifts Tropics to Thrilling 8-7 Overtime Win