Paredes Overpowers Rockers in 6-3 Win
High Point, North Carolina - The Somerset Patriots (24-39, 66-67) carried an early lead and a big day offensively to a 6-3 win over the High Point Rockers (31-32, 72-61) Sunday afternoon at BB&T Point.
The Patriots got on the board in the first inning for the third-straight night. Jimmy Paredes (11) hit a three-run home run to right field to start the scoring before an Alfredo Rodriguez two-out RBI single gave Somerset a 4-0 early lead. It marked the second-straight game in which the Patriots scored four runs in the top of the first inning.
Somerset added two more runs in the top of the third on a pair of two-out RBI singles from Edwin Espinal and Rodriguez. High Point responded in the bottom half of the frame with a Quincy Latimore two-out, two-run triple to bring the Rocker deficit back to 6-2.
The Rockers cut the Patriots' lead to three in the bottom of the sixth on a Zack Dodson balk with a runner at third base, but would get no closer.
Paredes finished the ballgame 3-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored, three RBI and three stolen bases.
Dodson (W, 3-2) allowed three runs (two earned) over six innings to earn the win. Matt Sergey (L, 3-3) yielded six runs on six hits and three walks over three innings to suffer the loss. Taylor Wright (S, 1) worked a scoreless ninth to earn his first save as a Patriot.
The Patriots and Rockers conclude their four-game series Monday evening. First pitch at BB&T Point is slated for 6:30 p.m.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford continues on the road until Friday, September 20th when the team returns home to face the New Britain Bees. The game will feature a Back-To-School Folders giveaway for the first 1,500 kids, presented by SCEA. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Jimmy Paredes with the Somerset Patriots celebrates his homer
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 15, 2019
- Matusz Masterful But Blue Crabs Rally Late in Series Finale - Long Island Ducks
- Mercedes' Big Day Closes Home Season - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Crabs Walk-Off Ducks, Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Paredes Overpowers Rockers in 6-3 Win - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters