Pacific Coast League Bests International League 12-7 in Triple-A All-Star Game
COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Pacific Coast League All-Stars scored six runs in the second inning en route to a 12-7 victory over the International League All-Stars at Huntington Park on Wednesday night. Tribe shortstop Kevin Newman finished 1-for-3 with one RBI in a game that featured a Triple-A All-Star Game record 29 hits.
The IL saw its 1-0 lead through one frame vanish as the visiting PCL squad hung a crooked number, tallying four hits and two walks against Tribe hurler Tyler Eppler (L, 0-1). They added two more runs in the third against Columbus southpaw Adam Wilk to make it 8-1.
The IL began to chip away at the seven-run deficit with a pair of three-run innings in the fourth and fifth. Newman's RBI knock came on a 1-2, two-out offering by El Paso right-hander Brett Kennedy to bring home Durham's Kean Wong.
The IL then snuck within one run at 8-7, but the PCL scored two runs apiece in the sixth and ninth to cap the 3-hour, 9-minute contest.
Tribe catcher Ryan Lavarnway grounded into a double play in his only at-bat.
Memphis' Dakota Hudson (W, 1-0) was credited with the win after tossing one inning and allowing one run on three hits.
Albuquerque third baseman Josh Fuentes was named as the PCL's MVP after going 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBI. Wong finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI to earn IL MVP honors.
The Indians' second-half slate begins on Thursday, July 12 against Toledo. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. EDT at Victory Field.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Leblebijian, Jansen Take Part in 2018 Triple-A All-Star Game - Buffalo Bisons
- Pacific Coast League Bests International League 12-7 in Triple-A All-Star Game - Indianapolis Indians
- RHP Jeanmar Gomez contract purchased by Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- Tides and Baltimore Orioles Extend Affiliation - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Offering Tethered Balloon Rides on July 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (50-41) at Gwinnett Stripers (41-52)
- Waddell Earns International League Pitcher of the Week Honors
- Toledo's Late Barrage Leads to Series Split
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (50-40) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (50-41)
- Indians Jump into First Place in IL West with Comeback Victory