Pacific Coast League Bests International League 12-7 in Triple-A All-Star Game
COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Pacific Coast League All-Stars scored six runs in the second inning en route to a 12-7 victory over the International League All-Stars at Huntington Park on Wednesday night. Tribe shortstop Kevin Newman finished 1-for-3 with one RBI in a game that featured a Triple-A All-Star Game record 29 hits.
The IL saw its 1-0 lead through one frame vanish as the visiting PCL squad hung a crooked number, tallying four hits and two walks against Tribe hurler Tyler Eppler (L, 0-1). They added two more runs in the third against Columbus southpaw Adam Wilk to make it 8-1.
The IL began to chip away at the seven-run deficit with a pair of three-run innings in the fourth and fifth. Newman's RBI knock came on a 1-2, two-out offering by El Paso right-hander Brett Kennedy to bring home Durham's Kean Wong.
The IL then snuck within one run at 8-7, but the PCL scored two runs apiece in the sixth and ninth to cap the 3-hour, 9-minute contest.
Tribe catcher Ryan Lavarnway grounded into a double play in his only at-bat.
Memphis' Dakota Hudson (W, 1-0) was credited with the win after tossing one inning and allowing one run on three hits.
Albuquerque third baseman Josh Fuentes was named as the PCL's MVP after going 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBI. Wong finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI to earn IL MVP honors.
The Indians' second-half slate begins on Thursday, July 12 against Toledo. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. EDT at Victory Field.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Leblebijian, Jansen Take Part in 2018 Triple-A All-Star Game - Buffalo Bisons
- Pacific Coast League Bests International League 12-7 in Triple-A All-Star Game - Indianapolis Indians
- RHP Jeanmar Gomez contract purchased by Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- Tides and Baltimore Orioles Extend Affiliation - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Offering Tethered Balloon Rides on July 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.