Outman Named Player of the Week
OGDEN, UT - Ogden Raptors outfielder James Outman has been named the Pioneer League's Player of the Week for August 13-19, Minor League Baseball announced Monday.
Outman went 9-for-18 (a .500 average) over five games with two doubles, a triple, four runs and four stolen bases during the week.
"Really cool to see Outman get Player of the Week," said Raptors manager Jeremy Rodriguez. "He's worked really hard from where he started, starting his season I think he struggled a little bit going 0-for-23. But with the type of person he is, he kept working and didn't change. That's something everyone in the locker room recognized from him.
"For him to get this success and recognition is huge, and I think it's going to be huge for his confidence. Everyone here is really excited for him."
Outman had at least one hit in each of the five games in which he played during the week, and was a bright spot in the series against Billings, going 7-for-11. He capped off the week with a 3-for-5 day Sunday to help the Raptors avoid a sweep at the hands of the Mustangs.
As late as August 2, Outman's batting average was under .200. Now he is hitting .261 with seven home runs and 23 RBI for the campaign. He has also stolen 10 bases in 12 attempts and scored 38 runs in 42 games.
Outman is the second Raptors player to earn a Pioneer League honor this season, after Niko Hulsizer's Player of the Week nod for July 23-29.
The Raptors continue their second-to-last regular season home series by taking on the Great Falls Voyagers Tuesday through Thursday nights at Lindquist Field. The final four home games before the playoffs are August 29 through September 1, with Idaho Falls and Grand Junction both visiting for two games. All remaining home games will start at 6:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 21, 2018
- GJ Splits the Bill with Missoula - Grand Junction Rockies
- Billings Beats Idaho Falls 5-4 - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Three Homers Can't Prevent Loss - Ogden Raptors
- Osprey and Rockies Split Doubleheader - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Mustangs Survive Late Surge from Chukars, Win 5-4 - Billings Mustangs
- Brewers and Owlz Suspended Due to Rain - Helena Brewers
- Rockies Stifle Brewers to Win Series - Helena Brewers
- Outman Named Player of the Week - Ogden Raptors
- Former Osprey Emilio Vargas Crowned Cal League Pitcher of the Year - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Late Ogden Homer Seals Voyagers Fate - Great Falls Voyagers
- Bowlan, Webb Leads Chukars to a Win - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Chiu Homers in Seventh to Vault Raptors to Win - Ogden Raptors
- Mustangs Out-Hit Chukars, But Fall 7-4 in Series Opener - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.