O'Sullivan leads Aces to another win
Alexandria, La. - Friday's game between the Alexandria Aces and the San Angelo Colts was full of fireworks as the Aces won 9-8 at Bringhurst Field thanks to a career night from Patrick O'Sullivan.
O'Sullivan hit two home runs, including going back-to-back with Brian Sabatella in the eighth. In the third, O'Sullivan hit a three-run homer scoring Sabatella and Homy Ovalles to give the Aces a 3-1 lead. In the eighth, Sabatella hit a home run to right scoring Blake Butler, followed by O'Sullivan's solo shot giving Alexandria a 9-5 lead.
O'Sullivan finished the night 3-5 with four RBIs.
The Colts made it interesting in the top of the ninth when Jason Crossland got his first hit of the year, a three-run homer to put San Angelo within one with none out. Alexandria closer Juan Carlos Ovalles then got Benny Craig to fly out to center and Andres Rodriguez and Jose Torres to strike to end the game and give him his first save of the year.
San Angelo took the lead briefly in the seventh. A wild pitch by Charley Foster allowed Adam Miller to tie the game at four and moved John Anderson to second. Bryan Frichter then singled home Anderson to give the Colts their first lead of the game.
The Aces got the lead back with a two-RBI single by Jose Umbria in the bottom half of the seventh gave Alexandria the lead 6-5.
Aces starter Chad Linder pitched six solid innings giving up three runs, two earned, on seven hits and one walk, striking out six Colts. He ended up with a no decision.
Foster (1-0) pitched one inning and gave up no runs, allowing two hits and a walk. He struck out one for the win.
Ryan Mulle (0-1) got the loss going 2.2 innings, giving up two runs on three hits and a walk and striking out three.
Colts starter Logan Williamson lasted only four innings giving up four runs, none were earned, on six hits. He walked one and struck out three.
Aces center fielder Blake Butler, who came into the game leading the United League in hitting, went 2-3 with two walks and a run scored.
Frichter went 5-5 with three doubles and scored two runs for the Colts.
The Aces will throw Derek Abriola against the Colts' Caleb Rodgers Saturday. Also, Christus St. Francis Cabrini will be giving away duffle bags and the Aces will recieve their 2007 championship rings. Game time is 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from May 17, 2008
- Broncos Blow Away WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Rodgers, quick start lead Colts past Aces - ULB
- Coyotes Win Big in Game 2 - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Broncos bust out their bats in win against Harlingen - Laredo Broncos
- Santana's Brother Passes Away - Edinburg Roadrunners
- O'Sullivan leads Aces to another win - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th