Orlando City Drop 1-0 Result to New York Red Bulls
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (7-10-5, 26 points) fell 1-0 to the New York Red Bulls (10-8-4, 34 points) on Saturday night at Exploria Stadium. The Lions ripped 18 shots off in the match, one shy of their season-high, including three off the woodwork in the second half.
Head Coach James O'Connor:
"Obviously very disappointed. I think we felt the first 30 minutes, 35 minutes, we were off. We looked a little bit flat, it took us a while to get going. Probably the last 10 minutes before the second half, we started to feel like we were coming into it more. Second half, I think we've absolutely bust, bust the game and completely dominated. Hit the woodwork whatever it is, three times, had some chances so we're looking to get anything out of the game, but it's obviously very frustrating when you have a game, especially when you have the ball bouncing off the crossbar and off the post, but it didn't happen for us tonight."
32' Brian White (Alejandro Romero Gamarra) - RBNY 1, ORL 0
The Red Bulls took advantage of an Orlando City turnover, with Amro Tarek jumping on a bad touch and finding Alejandro Romero Gamarra. Gamarra then played a ball in behind the City defense for White, who hit a shot off goalkeeper Brian Rowe that deflected into the back of the net.
The loss served as City's first in its last five matches across all competitions.
The Lions hit three shots off the woodwork in the second half with Carlos Ascues and Tesho Akindele each hammering chances off the crossbar in the 60th and 70th minutes respectively, and Sacha Kljestan hitting one off the post in the 77th.
Forward Robinho made his home debut for the Lions in the match, entering the game in the 67th minute for Chris Mueller.
João Moutinho returned to the starting lineup for the first time since June 19 in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 against the New England Revolution. Next Match: The Lions head out on the road to face the New England Revolution on Saturday, July 27. Kickoff for that match is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET at Gillette Stadium.
Teams 1 2 F
Orlando City SC 0 0 0
New York Red Bulls 1 0 1
RBNY - Brian White (Alejandro Romero Gamarra) 32'
RBNY - Daniel Royer (Yellow Card) 23'
ORL - Chris Mueller (Yellow Card) 28'
RBNY - Luis Robles (Yellow Card) 83'
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D João Moutinho, Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Ruan; M Will Johnson, Carlos Ascues (Sacha Kljestan 66'), Sebastián Méndez; F Nani © (Santiago Patiño 71') , Tesho Akindele, Chris Mueller (Robinho 67')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Adam Grinwis; D Kamal Miller, Kyle Smith; M Uri Rosell
New York Red Bulls - GK Luis Robles ©; D Aaron Long, Amro Tarek, Tim Parker, Michael Murillo; M Cristian Cásseres Jr. (Marc Rzatkowski 54'), Sean Davis, Daniel Royer, Alejandro Romero Gamarra (Bradley Wright-Phillips 74'), Derrick Etienne (Omir Fernandez 63'); F Brian White
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ryan Meara; D Connor Lade; M Andreas Ivan; F Tom Barlow
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: July 21, 2019
ORL - 62%
RBNY - 38%
ORL - 18
RBNY - 13
ORL - 4
RBNY - 4
ORL - 8
RBNY - 7
ORL - 9
RBNY - 8
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 21, 2019
- Orlando City Drop 1-0 Result to New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Post-Game Notes: New York Red Bulls 1, Orlando City SC 0 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 22 - July 27, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- New England Revolution Downs FC Cincinnati 2-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Defeat FC Cincinnati, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Tops D.C. United 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Fall to Atlanta United 2-0 on the Road - D.C. United
- Storylines | City vs. New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 21, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Know Your Opponent | New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC Take a Point from Rugged Road Game against RSL - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes outshoot Vancouver 32-6, outscore Whitecaps FC 3-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Lions' Mentality on Full Display in Quarterfinal Win
- Orlando City SC Forward Dom Dwyer Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- City vs. LAFC: a Look into the Numbers
- Orlando City Advances to MLS Is Back Semifinals, Defeats LAFC in Penalty Shootout
- Lions Toughest Test Yet Awaits in Quarterfinal Match