Olen Zellweger Named to NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch List for 2021 NHL Draft
EVERETT, WA - The Everett Silvertips, two-time Western Conference champions and seven-time U.S. Division champions of the Western Hockey League, announced that defenseman Olen Zellweger has been named to the National Hockey League Central Scouting's "Players to Watch" list for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.
Zellweger is named among 36 WHL players ranked by NHL Central Scouting, and among 12 defensemen on the list. In the 2020 NHL Entry Draft on Oct. 6, the Silvertips saw three more players selected by NHL teams: forward Gage Goncalves (Tampa Bay) in the second round, defenseman Kasper Puutio (Florida) in the fifth round, and defenseman Ronan Seeley (Carolina) in the seventh round. A total of eight Silvertips have been selected in the NHL Entry Draft over the last three years.
Zellweger registered 12 points (2g-10a) in 58 games, along with a +20 rating and 50 shots on net for his first WHL season. The Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta native logged his first career multi point game on Feb. 7 when he earned a pair of assists against Tri-City, and scored his first career WHL goal on Dec. 28 against the Kamloops Blazers.
The native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta and 2003-born defenseman was named to Hockey Canada's U18 Team Selection Camp in June, as part of a group of 46 players who were set to compete for roster spots with Hockey Canada at the 2020 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, originally scheduled for August 3-8 in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta., before cancellation due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
He last year additionally skated for Team Canada Red at the U17 World Hockey Challenge, logging a pair of assists in five tournament games while representing Canada as one of 66 selected as top young players in the nation to compete in the event.
Zellweger, listed with a "C" rating (indicating a potential fourth, fifth, or sixth round candidate) was originally selected by the Silvertips in the second round (42nd overall) in the 2018 WHL Draft.
The WHL announced a start date of January 8 for the 2020-21 season. More details are expected to be announced soon.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 27, 2020
- Olen Zellweger Named to NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch List for 2021 NHL Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Boyko, Lajoie, Suchanek Named to NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch List - Tri-City Americans
- Two Blazers on NHL Central Scouting Watch List - Kamloops Blazers
- Graham Sward Listed in NHL Central Scouting's 'Players to Watch' - Spokane Chiefs
- No Training Camp for Rebels Prior to Start of 2020-21 Season - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets loan Jake Poole to Virden Oil Capitals - Kelowna Rockets
- Colton Dach Among 36 WHL Players Named to NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List - Saskatoon Blades
- 36 WHL Players Named to NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List - WHL
- Rockets loan Dallon Wilton to Neepawa - Kelowna Rockets
- Three Raiders, One Prospect Make NHL Central Scouting's Preliminary Players to Watch List - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Gage Goncalves Named to Hockey Canada's World Junior Selection Camp
- Olen Zellweger Named to NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch List for 2021 NHL Draft
- Silvertips Loan Five Players to Start 2020-21 Season
- WHL Announces January 8, 2021 as Regular Season Start Date
- Three Silvertips Selected at the 2020 NHL Draft