Oilers Sign Rookie Defenseman Zach Todd
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers, proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's St. Louis Blues, and Head Coach Rob Murray announced Thursday the signing of rookie defenseman Zach Todd for the 2018-19 season.
Todd, 25, joins the Oilers for his first full professional season, after getting a taste of the ECHL in the spring with the Atlanta Gladiatiors. The Holden, MA native skated in four games with Atlanta and scored his first pro goal April 6 against the Orlando Solar Bears.
"I'm beyond excited to begin my first professional season in Tulsa," said Todd. "It seems like a great place to play, from what I've heard."
Todd finished his senior season at Mercyhurst University in March, where he totaled a career-best 26 points (3g, 23a) in 37 games. The 5'10, 181 lbs. defenseman suited up in 104 games from 2014-18 for the Lakers, compiling 53 points (10g, 43a) during his college career.
"Zach comes to us after getting his feet wet at the ECHL level late last season," said Murray. "He is a solid offensive defenseman that we hope can come in and contribute, especially on the power play."
The right-shot defenseman previously spent one junior season with the Boston Jr. Bruins of the United States Premier Hockey League before heading to Mercyhurst. What kind of player are the Oilers getting?
"Fans can expect a fast and skilled style of play from the back end," said Todd. "I love joining the rush and creating offense. I can't wait to get down there and get the season going."
The Oilers' season opening is 100 days away, when they host the Idaho Steelheads on Saturday, October 13 at 7:05pm at the BOK Center. The two teams will complete Opening Weekend in Tulsa at 4:05pm Sunday, October 14, followed by a postgame skate for the fans with the Oilers players.
Images from this story
Defenseman Zach Todd with Mercyhurst University
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 12, 2018
- Adirondack Signs Rookie Forward Daniel Perigo - Adirondack Thunder
- Tayler Thompson Back for 2018-19 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- AJ White Returning to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Cory Ward Joins Monarchs for 2018-19 Season - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Sign Rookie Defenseman Zach Todd - Tulsa Oilers
- Defenseman Schartz Signs on for 2018-19 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Maine Mariners Announce Premier Partnership with Consolidated Communications - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Marcus Power - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.