Oh, So Close
The Fort Wayne Fusion played 4 quarters of solid football Saturday night, but it wasn't enough to top the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers, as the Fusion fell 48-47 in front of a spirited crowd of 3,951 fans at Ford Fusion Field at Memorial Coliseum on Saturday night.
A see-saw battle came down to the game's waning moments, as the Fusion pulled to within one point with 13 seconds left and opted to attempt a two-point conversion to go for the win instead of kick a PAT and go into overtime. The Pioneers defense held, and kept their perfect season intact for one more week. The Pioneers improved to 13-0, while the Fusion fell to 5-9 and closed out the home schedule at 3-5.
Fusion QB Blayne Baggett played well, going 20-of-35 passing with 6 TDs and 2 INTs. WR Cesare Manning led Fusion receivers with 10 receptions for 151 yards and 4 TDs. FB/LB Terrel White bulldozed his way to 58 yards on 7 rushes, including 1 TD.
The Fusion hits the road for their final two games of the 2007 season, first to Huntsville Alabama for a rematch with the Tennessee Valley Vipers on Saturday, July 14th. The Fusion defeated the Vipers 56-33 in Fort Wayne on May 26th. After a bye week, the Fusion will then head to Moline, Illinois for another rematch, this time against the Midwest Division-leading Quad City Steamwheelers, who handed the Fusion a 64-47 home loss on June 8th.
Game Award Winners: Schutt Offensive Player of the Game: WR Cesare Manning (FWF) ADT Defensive Player of the Game: DB Nate "The Kure" Williams (FWF) U.S. Army Ironman of the Game: WR/DB/KR Virgil Morris (FWF) Cutters Catch of the Game: WR Cesare Manning (FWF)
For more information, or to get your 2008 Fusion season tickets, contact Fusion Assistant GM Elvis Ahlborn at (260) 760-6863, or visit www.fortwaynefusion.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 7, 2007
- Texas has three turnovers returned for TD's in loss - Texas Copperheads
- Severe Thunderstorm warning - CANCELLED - Louisville Fire
- Yard Dawgz defeat the Steeldogs 56-45 - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Oh, So Close - Fort Wayne Fusion
- Burn roll lucky 7s, beat Blitz 47-16 - Boise Burn
- Carter, Schule Lead Wings to Win - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- South Georgia Holds On For Win Over Florida - Florida Firecats
- Jungle Kats Defeated by Wolves, 54-34 - Cincinnati Jungle Kats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.