Offensive Onslaught Sends Drive Past Kannapolis, 9-2
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive scored multiple runs in three of the first four innings, including a four-run third inning, en route to a 9-2 victory over the Kannapolis Intimidators on Monday night at Fluor Field.
The Drive (29-35) wasted no time scoring, getting two runs in the first. Three straight singles from Tyler Esplin, Devlin Granberg and Jordan Wren loaded the bases with one out. Alan Marrero then singled up the middle to score Esplin and Granberg and put the Drive in front 2-0.
Kannapolis (26-36) got on the board with a lone run in the second. A solo home run from Corey Zangari, his third homer of the season, made it a 2-1 game.
That would be the only run allowed by Drive starter Alex Scherff (2-5) on the night. The right-hander allowed just two hits in 6.0 innings of work with five strikeouts against three walks to earn his second win of the season.
Greenville then broke the game open with four runs in the bottom of the third. An RBI single by Triston Casas, a two-RBI single by Brandon Howlett and an RBI single by Everlouis Lozada made it a 6-1 Drive advantage.
The Drive added to its lead with two more runs in the fourth. A two-run home run by Casas, his 11th of the season, pushed the lead to 8-1.
Greenville tacked on another run in the sixth. Back-to-back doubles by Wren and Casas brought home Wren and extended the lead to 9-1.
Kannapolis got its second run of the game on the second solo home run of the game by Zangari, his fourth of the year, to make it a 9-2 game.
Kannapolis starter Jonathan Stiever (4-5) suffered the loss, allowing six runs on eight hits with five strikeouts against one walk.
Casas put together a monster night at the plate to lead the Drive, going 4-for-5 and finishing a triple shy of the cycle with two runs and four RBI. Wren added a three-hit performance, going 3-for-5 with a double and two runs. Esplin and Howlett each collected two hits and a run in the win, while Howlett added a pair of RBI. As a team, the Drive ended the night with 15 hits, a season-high for a home game.
The series continues on Tuesday with first pitch at 7:05 p.m. Drive right-hander Thaddeus Ward takes the mound for Greenville against right-hander Johan Dominguez for Kannapolis.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Legends Sit Atop Standings Despite Loss - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Beat Lexington 8-5, Stand Only One-Game Back of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Offensive Onslaught Sends Drive Past Kannapolis, 9-2 - Greenville Drive
- Anchia Grand Slam Completes Comeback Win - West Virginia Power
- Power Slam Spoils Shorebirds' Party - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome Walks It Off in 10 Inning Win over Charleston - Rome Braves
- Tourists Take Rain-Shortened Game from Fireflies - Asheville Tourists
- Woods-Richardson Dominant Again in Rain-Shortened Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Gil Duels with Keuchel over Seven Shutout, Braves Outlast RiverDogs in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 10 vs. Asheville (Game 60) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 10) - West Virginia Power
- Keuchel transferred to Rome, slated to start tonight's game - Rome Braves
- First-Rounder Anthony Seigler to Join RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns and BlueClaws Series Opener Delayed - Hagerstown Suns
- FanFest, Festiv-ALL Star Concert Highlight Monday All-Star Events - West Virginia Power
- Kickin' It with the Kids Event "Kicks" off All-Star Week - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Greenville Drive Makes $5,000 Contribution to the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund Via "Safe at Home" T-Shirt Activation
- The Greenville Drive and MiLB Launch Campaign to Feed Area Families and Honor Pandemic Heroes
- Don't Miss out on the Best Games During the Drive's 15th Anniversary Season
- Tickets on Sale Now for the 2020 College and High School Schedule at Fluor Field
- Greenville Drive Look to Better Engage Fans with StellarAlgo Partnership