Rome Walks It Off in 10 Inning Win over Charleston
ROME, GA - Sporting a former American League Cy Young Award Winner on the mound the Rome Braves broke their eight game losing skid with a thrilling 1-0 extra inning victory against the first place Charleston RiverDogs on Monday night.
Making his organizational debut as a member of the Rome Braves the All-Star lefthander was sensational, throwing 7 scoreless innings while allowing only one hit. Keuchel had nine strikeouts and only one walk. He threw 77 pitches and faced only two batters over the minimum.
Both pitching staffs continued to put up zeroes and the game eventually pushed into extra innings. Rome reliever LHP Tanner Lawson came on for Keuchel and had perhaps his best outing of the season. Lawson threw 3 shutout innings, surrendering no hits. He struck out three, walked none and got the win.
The only run of the game came in the Bottom of the 10th inning. With Henry Quintero at second base Derian Cruz singled into left field. Quintero raced home, beating the throw and ending Rome's losing streak.
Logan Brown finished his night 1-4 with a double. Griffin Benson was 1-4 with a double. Cruz was 1-4 with a single and the game's only RBI. Jeremy Fernandez was 1-4.
Rome and Charleston continue their three game series on Tuesday evening. Game 2 is scheduled for 7 pm at State Mutual Stadium. Rome starts LHP Gabriel Noguera (2-3, 4.03). Charleston will counter with RHP Alexander Vizcaino (3-2, 3.16).
Rome Braves (27-36): 1 R 4 H 0 E
Charleston RiverDogs (34-30): 0 R 1 H 0 E
W: Tanner Lawson (2-2)
L: Carlos Espinal (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Legends Sit Atop Standings Despite Loss - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Beat Lexington 8-5, Stand Only One-Game Back of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Offensive Onslaught Sends Drive Past Kannapolis, 9-2 - Greenville Drive
- Anchia Grand Slam Completes Comeback Win - West Virginia Power
- Power Slam Spoils Shorebirds' Party - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome Walks It Off in 10 Inning Win over Charleston - Rome Braves
- Tourists Take Rain-Shortened Game from Fireflies - Asheville Tourists
- Woods-Richardson Dominant Again in Rain-Shortened Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Gil Duels with Keuchel over Seven Shutout, Braves Outlast RiverDogs in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 10 vs. Asheville (Game 60) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 10) - West Virginia Power
- Keuchel transferred to Rome, slated to start tonight's game - Rome Braves
- First-Rounder Anthony Seigler to Join RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns and BlueClaws Series Opener Delayed - Hagerstown Suns
- FanFest, Festiv-ALL Star Concert Highlight Monday All-Star Events - West Virginia Power
- Kickin' It with the Kids Event "Kicks" off All-Star Week - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.