Offense Silenced as Saints Shut out Wingnuts
ST. PAUL, Minn. - The Wichita Wingnuts managed only four hits and were shut out by the St. Paul Saints for the second time in 2018, falling by the final score of 5-0 on Wednesday night at CHS Field.
Former Wingnuts right-hander Eddie Medina (5-3) was excellent for St. Paul, tossing 6.1 innings without allowing a run and notching a season-high eight strikeouts. Medina allowed three hits and walked two, picking up the victory against his former team for the second time in as many starts this year.
St. Paul (34-28) scored first when Wingnuts rightfielder Nick Rotola made a pair of errors, one in the first and one in the third, allowing Saints runners to score against starter Jordan Cooper (6-5). Cooper would settle down to cover six innings, setting a season-high with seven strikeouts of his own without handing out a free pass.
The Saints added to the lead with a trio of solo homers. Dante Bichette Jr. connected in the fourth, Kyle Barrett in the fifth, and Burt Reynolds in the eighth against Wingnuts reliever Brady Bowen.
The relief combination of Beck Wheeler, Ken Frosch, and Mike Devine slammed the door for St. Paul, allowing just one hit over the final 2.2 innings as the Wingnuts didn't get a runner to third base at any point in the game.
The Wingnuts and Saints continue their series on Thursday night, with right-hander Charlie Gillies (5-2, 3.51) going up against lefty Chris Nunn (2-1, 1.96). First pitch from CHS Field in St. Paul is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 25, 2018
- Railroaders Drop Sixth Straight - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saltdogs Give up Five in the First and Fall in KC - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Minor's Complete Game Shutout Finishes Series Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Prime Goes Deep But AirHogs Stymied in Winnipeg - Texas AirHogs
- Sulbaran and Homers Lead Goldeyes Past Texas - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- There's No Place Like Home: Saints Blank Wingnuts 5-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Offense Silenced as Saints Shut out Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Canaries Drop Game to RailCats Despite Another Bergin Homer - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Trio of Rallies Leads Sioux City to Victory - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Enjoy a Tuesday Dog Day of Summer - Kansas City T-Bones