NYRB II Fall, 4-2, at Richmond
RICHMOND, VA. (May 30, 2015) - New York Red Bulls II fell to the Richmond Kickers, 4-2, on the road Saturday evening at City Stadium in Richmond. NYRB II could not overcome three first-half goals from the Kickers.
NYRB II moves to 3-5-3 with the result, but remain near the playoff picture in the USL Eastern Conference standings.
Richmond opened the scoring in the 14th minute, when a corner kick from Owusu Sekyere curled towards the back post, where Brian Ownby was able to finish.
NYRB II was awarded a penalty in the 31st minute after a Derrick Etienne cross into the box was played by the hand of a defender. Manolo Sanchez stepped to the spot, but saw his attempt to the low right side denied by an outstretched Ryan Taylor. Taylor also got in front of two follow up attempts to keep New York off the board.
The Kickers added a second in the 37th minute when Jason Yeisley was played into space on the right side by Sekyere. Yeisley received the ball at the top of the box, took a touch and beat Castano.
Eli Garner added the third two minutes later, benefitting from fine work inside the box from George Davis IV. Davis got through two defenders and drew Castano out before sliding the ball across to Garner for an easy finish.
Richmond would take their 3-0 lead into the half.
NYRB II pulled on back on the 48th minute thanks to a great individual effort from Red Bulls U-18 captain Derrick Etienne. Etienne received the ball on the wing, darted to the endline and cut inside, beating a defender before curling a shot from a steep angle across the face of goal and inside the far post.
Richmond earned a penalty of their own in the 68th minute, and Davis IV capitalized on his chance to restore the three-goal lead.
New York was awarded another penalty for a handball inside the box in the 80th minute. Second-half sub Chris Tsonis stepped up, and was again stopped by Taylor. Tsonis followed his shot and was able to deposit the rebound to make it 4-2.
Next up for NYRB II is a trip to Montreal for a match against FC Montreal at Stade Saputo on Saturday, June 6. Kickoff is slated for 6:30 p.m. It will be the second of six consecutive road matches. NYRB II are next home on July 12, when the Harrisburg City Islanders come to town for a match at Rocco B. Commisso field on the campus of Columbia University in Manhattan.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 31, 2015
- Aztex Fall to OKC 1-0 - Austin Aztex
- Whitecaps FC 2 Defeat Long Tan's Arizona United SS 2-0 for Second Straight Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- OKC Energy FC Match Preview - OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs Earn Road Point in Sacramento - Real Monarchs SLC
- NYRB II Fall, 4-2, at Richmond - New York Red Bulls II
- Sacramento Republic FC and Real Monarchs SLC play to a 1-1 draw in a physical match, in front of a s - Sacramento Republic FC
- Raul Mendiola scores in stoppage time to give LA Galaxy II a 2-1 in over Colorado Springs Switchback - LA Galaxy II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls II Stories
- New York Red Bulls II Add Venezuelan Defender Edgardo Rito on Loan
- New York Red Bulls II Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- NYRB II Meet Louisville Again in Third-Straight Conference Final
- New York Red Bulls II Snap Cincinnati's 24-Match Unbeaten Run, Advance to Eastern Conference Finals
- NYRB II Visit Top Seeded FC Cincinnati in Conference Semis