Northern Arizona Suns Claim Jawun Evans
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Northern Arizona Suns announced today that they have claimed guard Jawun Evans.
In a corresponding move, the Suns have waived guard Tyrell Corbin.
Evans (6-0, 190 pounds) played 48 games (four starts) for the LA Clippers last season, averaging 4.8 points, 1.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 16.2 minutes per game. It was Evans' rookie year in the NBA after getting drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers in the second round (39th overall) in the 2017 NBA Draft.
Evans, 22, scored 10+ points five times for the Clippers, earning a career-high 15 points twice. Evans recorded 15 points, six rebounds, six assists and five steals against the Washington Wizards on Dec. 15. He was one of 11 players in the NBA to tally 15+ points, 5+ rebounds, 5+ assists and 5+ steals in a game last season, and one of just two rookies to do so (Philadelphia's Ben Simmons).
The Greenville, South Carolina, native played one game on assignment in the NBA G League last year for the Agua Caliente Clippers. Evans played two collegiate years at Oklahoma State, where as a sophomore in 2016-17 he was first in the Big 12 Conference in assists per game (6.4 APG, ninth nationally), second in scoring (19.2 PPG), and third in steals (1.8 SPG).
Corbin returned to the NAZ Suns this season. After Saturday's season opener, he played 10 career games for the NAZ Suns.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 4, 2018
- Blue Beats Clippers in Back-and-Forth Affair - Oklahoma City Blue
- Northern Arizona Suns Claim Jawun Evans - Northern Arizona Suns
- Memphis Hustle Drop Season Opener to Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws Take Down Blue Coats for First Victory - Maine Red Claws
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Daniel Hamilton - Erie BayHawks
- De'Anthony Melton Recalled by Phoenix Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornets Recall Devonte' Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Detroit Pistons Recall Henry Ellenson and Khyri Thomas from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Suns Run out of Time in 2018-19 Season Opener - Northern Arizona Suns
- Macon Rains on Spurs Ring Night - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Northern Arizona Suns 118-104 in Season Opener - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Austin Spurs Fall to Texas Legends 126-120 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northern Arizona Suns Stories
- NAZ Suns Raise over $5,000 to Benefit Yavapai Regional Medical Center Foundation and Breast Cancer Care Programs
- Elie Okobo Leads, But NAZ Suns Fall to Go-Go
- Elie Okobo Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns
- Northern Arizona Suns Acquire Trayvon Palmer
- Jawun Evans Plays Grinch, Gets 8 Steals in Suns' Christmas Game