North Carolina FC's Dre Fortune Voted USL Championship Player of the Week
Tampa, Fla. - North Carolina FC midfielder Dre Fortune has been voted the USL Championship Player of the Week for Week 14 of the 2019 season. Fortune scored a pair of goals as NCFC took a 3-1 victory on the road against the Tampa Bay Rowdies on Saturday night, handing the Eastern Conference-leading Rowdies their first regular-season loss of 2019.
Fortune received 35 percent of the poll conducted by a national panel of independent media representing every USL Championship market. Phoenix Rising FC's Junior Flemmings and Sacramento Republic FC's Cameron Iwasa finished tied for second on 24 percent after each notching a pair of goals in their respective club's victories this past weekend.
A Raleigh native, Fortune is the first former NCFC Academy player to sign a professional contract with the senior team. The 22-year-old midfielder is currently in his fourth professional season and his third with NCFC, having debuted for the club in 2017.
NCFC returns home on Saturday, June 15, to face Swope Park Rangers in the first match of the Pride Night doubleheader, presented by Credit Suisse, at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park at 5 p.m. The game will be followed by a match between the NC Courage and Portland Thorns scheduled for 7:45 p.m.. NCFC is unbeaten at home in league play (2W-0L-3D).
For tickets and information please visit NorthCarolinaFC.com or call the Coastal Credit Union Box Office at 919-459-8144.
USL Championship Team of the Week
GK - Brandon Miller, Charlotte Independence: Miller recorded a six-save shutout against the Swope Park Rangers that included a penalty-kick save to help his side earn a point on the road.
D - Kosuke Kimura, Nashville SC: Kimura scored a second-half goal and won 8 of 9 duels while making five recoveries in NSC's 4-1 road victory against Bethlehem Steel FC.
D - Ish Jome, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC: Jome completed 4 of 4 dribbles, won 6 of 7 duels and recorded three key passes in addition to his late goal in the Switchbacks' 3-0 win against Tacoma Defiance.
D - James Kiffe, El Paso Locomotive FC: Kiffe recorded a pair of assists, completed 76 of 87 passes overall and made 10 recoveries in Locomotive FC's 3-0 win against the LA Galaxy II.
M - Sebastian Dalgaard, Hartford Athletic: Dalgaard notched three key passes, completed six dribbles won 14 of 20 duels and won a penalty kick that produced the game-winning goal in the Athletic's 2-1 win against Saint Louis FC.
M - Dre Fortune, North Carolina FC: Fortune struck twice, made four interceptions and completed 21 of 27 passes as North Carolina handed the Tampa Bay Rowdies their first loss of the season.
M - Jose Gallegos, San Antonio FC: The 17-year-old recorded four key passes and 9 of 10 passes overall, completed three dribbles and scored the game-winning goal after coming on as a halftime substitute in SAFC's 3-2 win against Reno 1868 FC.
M - Chris Lema, New York Red Bulls II: Lema notched a pair of assists, recorded seven key passes overall and made 10 recoveries as the Red Bulls II cruised to a 3-1 victory against ATL UTD 2.
F - Junior Flemmings, Phoenix Rising FC: Flemmings scored twice, won a penalty kick and completed 16 of 19 passes to lead Rising FC's romp to a 5-0 victory against Tulsa Roughnecks FC at Casino Arizona Field.
F - Cameron Iwasa, Sacramento Republic FC: Iwasa recorded the opening and closing goal in Republic FC's 3-0 road victory against Western Conference-leader New Mexico United on Saturday night.
F - Douglas Martinez, Real Monarchs SLC: Martinez notched two goals, one assist and three key passes as the Monarchs took a 5-3 victory against Rio Grande Valley FC at Zions Bank Stadium.
Bench: Callum Irving (OTT), Solomon Asante (PHX), Kenney Walker (IND), Griffin Yow (LDN), Maikel Chang (SLC), Jerome Kiesewetter (ELP), Deshorn Brown (OKC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 11, 2019
- Hounds Fall Just Short to Columbus, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Five Things to Know Ahead of the Two Biggest Weeks in Memphis 901 FC's Young History - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Travels to Face New York City FC in Open Cup - North Carolina FC
- Nashville SC Defender Kosuke Kimura Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- Ish Jome Named to Second Consecutive USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- North Carolina FC's Dre Fortune Voted USL Championship Player of the Week - North Carolina FC
- North Carolina's Fortune Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Jose Gallegos Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC Play MLS's FC Dallas Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Nashville SC Fans Get a Taste of First Watch Party Experience at Waldo's Chicken and Beer - Nashville SC
- $1 Beer Night' Forget It Lights FC Announce $2 Tequila Night - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Four Bethlehem Steel FC Players to Short-Term Agreements - Bethlehem Steel FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina FC Forward Yamikani Chester Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated 1-0 in Pittsburgh
- North Carolina FC Set for Road Test against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- North Carolina FC Turns in Complete Performance in 3-0 Win over Loudoun United
- North Carolina FC Returns Home to Host Loudoun United