North Carolina FC Secures Loan Deal for Garner Native, Celtic F.C. Winger Manny Perez
CARY, N.C. - Triangle native and Celtic F.C. winger Manny Perez has joined North Carolina FC on loan for a second consecutive season, the club announced Wednesday. The transaction is pending league and federation approval, and no further details were disclosed, per club policy.
Perez, 20, spent the 2019 season at NCFC, recording five assists in 23 matches across all competitions. Perez, of Garner, is an alumnus of the NCFC Youth Academy and played two seasons at N.C. State.
"I'm really pleased that we're able to get Manny back for season two with the club," NCFC head coach Dave Sarachan said. "I felt that Manny really grew from the very beginning of the year to the end as a professional. He had some injuries that sort of set him back, but I think he'll have a much better starting point leading into our season compared to a year ago. He has a lot of ability that will hopefully come out."
Perez signed with the 50-time Scottish champions in January 2019, inking a deal for three and a half years with Celtic before remaining close to home and contributing to a 2019 NCFC squad that won 16 matches and reached the USL Championship Playoffs.
Named the U.S. Development Academy Player of the Year in 2016 in the East Conference, Perez has 12 caps on the international stage with the U.S. at the U-18, U-20 and U-23 levels. In October 2019, Perez scored on his U-23 debut in a 6-1 win over El Salvador.
With Perez back in the fold, NCFC's 2020 roster includes 13 returnees from last year's squad. NCFC begins the 2020 USL Championship season at home against Louisville City FC on Saturday, March 7 at 2:30 p.m. at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 5, 2020
- Real Monarchs Signs Defender Michael Wetungu - Real Monarchs SLC
- ESPN Radio 101.7 The Team Announced as Official Radio Broadcast Partner of New Mexico United - New Mexico United
- SD Loyal Signs Three Additional Midfielders - San Diego Loyal
- Lucas Kruel Returning as Strength and Conditioning Coach - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Secures Loan Deal for Garner Native, Celtic F.C. Winger Manny Perez - North Carolina FC
- Real Monarchs Signs Defender Nicolas Gimenez - Real Monarchs SLC
- Orange County SC Announces Promotional Schedule, Event Series, Theme Nights and Premium Giveaway Items for the 2020 Season - Orange County SC
- Miami FC Signs Colombian Midfielder Sebastian Velasquez - Miami FC
- Wynder, Ugarak Sign with Louisville City for 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Riverhounds SC Hires Ross Cain as Goalkeeping Coach - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Historic North Carolina FC, NC Courage Matches to Air on Capitol Broadcasting, YouTube
- North Carolina FC Statement on Extended Suspension of USL Championship Season
- North Carolina FC Issues Statement on USL Decision to Temporarily Suspend Season
- North Carolina FC Falls 1-0 in Season Opener to Louisville City
- North Carolina FC Kicks off 2020 Season at Home on Saturday against Louisville City