NLL Expansion Draft recap and trades
July 13, 2005 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) News Release
The 2005 National Lacrosse League Expansion Draft is now complete, as the league's two new entries, the Edmonton Rush and Portland LumberJax each selected nine players from the league's current teams as their rosters begin to take shape for the 2006 season. Complete results of the expansion draft are listed below.
TEAM SELECTED PLAYER TEAM
1. Portland -F Mike Hominuck- Buffalo
2. Edmonton - G Rob Blasdell - San Jose
3. Portland - D Brock Boyle- Minnesota
4. Edmonton - F Kevin Howard- Calgary
5. Portland - D Luke Forget - Toronto
6. Edmonton -F Sandy Chapman - Toronto
7. Portland -D Ryan Sharp- Calgary
8. Edmonton - G Pat Campbell- Rochester
9. Portland -F Mat Giles - Rochester
10. Edmonton - F Brad Dairon- San Jose
11. Portland -D Brock Robertson- Arizona
12. Edmonton -F Randy Daly- Colorado
13. Portland -F Tom Montour - Buffalo
14. Edmonton - D Scott Campbell - Minnesota
15. Portland -G Nick Schroeder - Philadelphia
16. Edmonton - F Cory Bomberry- Arizona
17. Portland - F Del Halladay - Colorado
18. Edmonton - D Jeff Spano - Philadelphia
EXPANSION DRAFT DAY TRADES
Immediately following the 2005 Expansion Draft, teams began quickly began making trades involving a number of players. With a fresh roster of players following the Expansion Draft, the Edmonton Rush and the Portland LumberJax made their first trades in franchise history. Edmonton made three trades in which they acquired Toronto Rock forward Jim Quinlan as well as a pair of first round draft picks.
Portland acquired an additional selection in the upcoming dispersal draft.
Here are the trades that followed the Expansion Draft:
The Edmonton Rush traded goaltender Rob Blasdell to the Arizona Sting in exchange for their first round selection in the 2007 Entry Draft.
The Edmonton Rush traded forward Cory Bomberry to the Buffalo Bandits in exchange for their third round selection in the 2005 Entry Draft.
The Edmonton Rush traded defenseman Scott Campbell to the Toronto Rock in exchange for forward Jim Quinlan.
The Portland LumberJax traded forward Mat Giles to the Toronto Rock in exchange for their first round selection in the 2005 Dispersal Draft.
In a separate trade, the Buffalo Bandits traded forward Jason Crosbie, a first round selection in the 2005 Entry Draft (fifth overall) and a first round selection in the 2005 Dispersal Draft to the Arizona Sting in exchange for forwards Troy Bonterre, Lindsay Plunkett and a first round selection (tenth overall) in the 2005 Entry Draft. The trade was contingent upon Bonterre not being selected in the Expansion Draft.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from July 13, 2005
- Jax select first players - Portland Lumberjax
- Stealth lose two players in Expansion Draft - San Jose Stealth
- Bandits acquire three players following Expansion Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota's Boyle and Campbell taken in NLL Expansion Draft - Minnesota Swarm
- NLL Expansion Draft recap and trades - NLL
- Roughnecks lose Howard and Sharp - Calgary Roughnecks
- Rock acquire Mat Giles and Scott Campbell via trades on day of Expansion Draft - Toronto Rock
- Daly, Halladay selected in Expansion Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Wings lose Schroeder and Spano in Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.