Nighthawks Overpower Schooners
GROTON, Conn. - A productive offense and stellar pitching from Brody Lawson and Greyson McLeod helped guide the Nighthawks to a 4-1 road victory over the Mystic Schooners in Groton, Connecticut on Tuesday evening. With the win, Upper Valley advances to 8-3 on the season, and regains the sole position atop the NECBL Northern Division.
It did not take long for the Upper Valley bats to come to life, as Greg Hardison (UNC Greensboro) extended his hit-streak to seven games with a two-run homer in the top of the 1st inning to get the Nighthawks an early edge.
Mystic's Mic Wilson countered with a blast of his own in the home-half of the inning to cut the Nighthawks' lead in half.
Hardison and Davis Mikell (Castleton University) pieced together a pair of singles in the fifth frame before Upper Valley could scrape across another run by converting on a Schooners' error.
Upper Valley's insurance run came in the top of the 9th inning when Sadler Goodwin (school) singled to drive in Eddie Modica, and give the Nighthawks a 4-1 lead.
Nighthawks' starter Brody Lawson (UNC Wilmington) hurled five innings, gave up three hits, surrendered one run, one walk, and struck out five Mystic batters. Reliever Greyson McLeod (University of West Georgia) pitched four innings of one-hit baseball, walked two, and fanned five as well.
The Nighthawks return home tomorrow evening, playing host to the Valley Blue Sox at 6:30 PM. It is Halloween Night at the ballpark - come on out for a costume contest, trick or treating for kids, and some special, spooky guests. If you can't make it to the field, Dan Stein and Mike Lord will have all of the action covered on the NECBL Broadcast Network starting at 6:15 PM.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from June 19, 2018
- 'Bats Drop Eighth Game of the Year to Pilgrims - Keene Swamp Bats
- Late Inning Home Run Give Mainers 4th Straight Road Win - Sanford Mainers
- Nighthawks Overpower Schooners - Upper Valley Nighthawks
- Late Homerun Propels Sanford Past Vermont, 4-3 - Vermont Mountaineers
- Bay Sox Unable to Hold Leads, Drop Second Game of Doubleheader 7-3 to Gulls - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Ryan Markey's Grand Slam Blasts Bay Sox to 10-8 Win over Gulls in Suspended Game - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Bark in the Park Thursday Night at 6:35pm - Valley Blue Sox
- Gulls Offense Erupts In 23-5 Win - Newport Gulls