New Polls Out, Xplorers # 1
Southaven, MS-The Memphis Xplorers of the af2 were voted the top ranked team in the weekly Coaches Poll earlier today. The Xplorers received 199 of a possible 228 points, including eight first place votes.
Memphis currently has the best record in the league at 7-1 and sits atop the Mid West Division of the National Conference. The Xplorers have won three straight, including a 73-53 victory last Saturday against the Albany Conquest.
Its a nice honor to be voted number one by your coaching peers, stated Xplorers Head Coach Danton Barto. We would still rather be number one at the end of the season.
This is the first time in the five-year history of the franchise that Memphis has achieved this honor. The Xplorers have reached second place in the voting multiple times throughout this season. I am very excited for the franchise. We have come a long way since the beginning, added Barto. We still have a long way to go to accomplish our goals.
Memphis is the third team to receive the number one ranking this season. The Florida Firecats fell from the top spot in week seven, and the Manchester Wolves dropped to third in the poll this week. Barto discussed the target that comes with a number one ranking. I personally dont think that being number one puts anymore of a target on you than a 7-1 record does. Were not going to change anything that we have been doing this season. It is our job as coaches to make sure that the players understand that this ranking means nothing toward our goal of winning the ArenaCup.
The Xplorers are idle this week, and will head to Arkansas on June 4th for their second game this season against the Twisters. Memphis won 54-13 back in week three. The next home game for the Xplorers is June 11th against the Quad City Steamwheelers. Single game tickets start as low as $7 and can be purchased by calling 662-280-9120, visiting the DeSoto Civic Center box office, or by logging onto Ticketmaster.com today. Memphis Xplorers Arena Football! Back in Black!
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 25, 2005
- Costanza's Conquest face the Fire - Albany Firebirds
- Week nine af2 quick hitters - af2
- New Polls Out, Xplorers # 1 - Memphis Xplorers
- Coyote QB hits the big screen - Central Valley Coyotes
- The Fire Wire - Louisville Fire
- Pioneers Honor Military - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Xplorers seize number one ranking - af2
- Joe Gottschalk, Iowa National Guard solider, to appear at Wheelers game this weekend - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Riptide-Coyotes Preview - San Diego Riptide
- Halfway mark give Wings time to ponder - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Pioneers Look to Tame Wolves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.