New Mexico United and City of Albuquerque Announce Plan to Bring Multi-Use Stadium Bond Issue Before City Council
Albuquerque, NM - New Mexico United and the City of Albuquerque are excited to announce the next step in bringing a community-altering multi-use stadium facility to New Mexico! On Saturday, United Owner and President Peter Trevisani and Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller announced to fans that a bond issue will be presented to the Albuquerque City Council at the August 2nd meeting, with a vote expected later that month.
"Before we ever kicked a soccer ball, our goal has always been to improve our community with everything we do," said Trevisani. "This is a massive step toward that goal and - if approved - would create multi-generational change in the state of New Mexico. I want to thank Mayor Keller and the Albuquerque City Council for their incredible commitment to and support of this project. Together we can transform Albuquerque and our state, and show the entire world what New Mexicans have to offer."
"This is the start of an exciting conversation about a facility that could be a game changer for our community and the state," said Mayor Tim Keller. "Since the team came in 2018, New Mexico United has captured the spirit of our city and become an outstanding community partner. While we face challenges on a number of fronts in our city, we must also look forward and invest in projects that will lift up our state for decades to come. This facility will draw fans from across the state for sporting events, concerts, and will be an asset to local businesses in the community. With strong support from Council, Albuquerque families will get the chance to decide on this."
If the proposed bond is approved by City Council, it will go on the November ballot for Albuquerque voters. If approved by voters, taxes will not be raised by a single cent. This funding will be added to the approximately $8 million previously raised by New Mexico United, state legislators and the Governor's office as well as additional private funding to be determined.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 25, 2021
- LA Galaxy II Blasts Oakland Roots 3-0 - LA Galaxy II
- Oakland Roots Fall in LA with Limited Roster - Oakland Roots
- Hounds Wrap up Debut Season in USL Academy League - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Oakland Roots SC at LA Galaxy II Match Notes - Oakland Roots
- On Celebratory Night, 10-Man United Earn Hard Fought Point - New Mexico United
- New Mexico United and City of Albuquerque Announce Plan to Bring Multi-Use Stadium Bond Issue Before City Council - New Mexico United
- Late Goal from Kibunguchy Earns Another Point on the Road - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Diego Loyal Allows Early Goal in 1-0 Loss to Phoenix Rising FC - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United Adds First Director of Player Personnel in Club History
- New Mexico United Records 25 Shots, Tops Division Opponent Real Monarchs SLC, 2-1
- New Mexico United Bests Division Foe Colorado Springs, 3-2
- New Mexico United Signs UNM Head Coach Heather Dyche as Technical Staff Special Advisor
- New Mexico United Bring Saalih Muhammad to New Mexico, Send Brian Brown to Oakland