Nelson and Obi Named AFL's Players of the Week
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Arena Football League announced today that Washington Valor quarterback Arvell Nelson and defensive back Fred Obi have been named Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively, for their performances against the Albany Empire in Game 1 of Washington's postseason series.
Nelson completed 26-38 passes, threw for 259 yards and accounted for eight total touchdowns (six passing, two rushing), including four scores in the fourth quarter and overtime. Nelson's performance earned him Offensive Player of the Game honors for the third time this season.
Obi earns his second Defensive Player of the Week award of the season after tallying a season-high 10 solo tackles to go along with his third interception of the season.
Game 2 of the Valor's postseason series against the Albany Empire is set for this Saturday, July 21, at 7:30 p.m. at Times Union Center in Albany, NY. After last weekend's Game 1 loss, Washington must now win Game 2 by at least two points to advance to ArenaBowl XXXI. Saturday night's game will be broadcast nationally on CBS Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from July 18, 2018
- Nelson and Obi Named AFL's Players of the Week - Washington Valor
- AFL Names AFL Playoffs Game 1 Players of the Week - AFL
- Albany's Joe Sykes Named Defensive Lineman of the Year - AFL
- Albany's Hayworth Hicks Named Offensive Lineman of the Year - AFL
- Valor Today - Washington Valor
- Brigade Today - Baltimore Brigade
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Valor Stories
- Valor Announce 2019 Regular Season Schedule
- McDowell Named Valor Head Coach
- Valor Today
- Valor Today
- Valor to Host Fan Rally Celebrating ArenaBowl XXXI Championship