Albany's Joe Sykes Named Defensive Lineman of the Year
July 18, 2018 - Arena Football League (AFL) News Release
LAS VEGAS - The Arena Football League has announced that Albany Empire defensive lineman Joe Sykes has been named 2018 AFL Defensive Lineman of the Year. This is Sykes' fourth time winning this award.
Sykes (6'4, 285, Southern) started in all 12 games for the Empire in 2018 and tallied 17.5 tackles (13/9) during the regular season. A disruptive force for the opposing offense, Sykes lead the League with 7.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.
AFL DEFENSIVE LINEMAN
OF THE YEAR
YEAR PLAYER TEAM
2018 Joe Sykes Albany
2017 Khreem Smith Baltimore
2016 Jake Metz Philadelphia
2015 Joe Sykes Jacksonville
2014 James Ruffin Spokane
2013 Joe Sykes San Antonio
2012 Joe Sykes San Jose
2011 Cliff Dukes Tampa Bay
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from July 18, 2018
- Nelson and Obi Named AFL's Players of the Week - Washington Valor
- AFL Names AFL Playoffs Game 1 Players of the Week - AFL
- Albany's Joe Sykes Named Defensive Lineman of the Year - AFL
- Albany's Hayworth Hicks Named Offensive Lineman of the Year - AFL
- Valor Today - Washington Valor
- Brigade Today - Baltimore Brigade
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.