Nelson Named AFL Offensive Player of the Week
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Arena Football League announced today that Washington Valor quarterback Arvell Nelson has been named Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in Game 2 of Washington's semifinal series against the Philadelphia Soul.
Nelson threw for 363 yards and scored five total touchdowns (four passing, one rushing), marking the 11th time this season he scored 5+ touchdowns in a game and the third time he threw for over 300 yards in a game. Sunday's game marked the fifth time this season that four different Valor receivers caught at least one touchdown from Nelson. With 4:37 left in the first half, Nelson found wideout Josh Reese for a 17-yard score, surpassing 2,000 career postseason passing yards.
The performance concluded a record-breaking season for Nelson, who led the Valor offense to a franchise-best 44.8 points per game. Nelson set a number of single-season franchise records in 2019: completions (240), attempts (412), passing yards (2,980), passing touchdowns (54), rushing attempts (75), rushing yards (226) and rushing touchdowns (19).
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from August 7, 2019
- Nelson Named AFL Offensive Player of the Week - Washington Valor
- County Executive to Announce 'Empire Day' - Albany Empire
- AFL Front Office of the Year Award Announced - Albany Empire
- Reconstructive Orthopedics Wins Medical Partner of the Year Award - Atlantic City Blackjacks
- ArenaBowl 32 Preview - Empire vs Soul - Albany Empire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.