NCFC Extends Unbeaten Run in League Play with Road Draw at Saint Louis FC
Fenton, Mo. - North Carolina FC extended its unbeaten run in USL Championship play to six matches with a 2-2 draw Saturday night against Saint Louis FC at WWT Soccer Park.
Forward Donovan Ewolo and midfielder Steven Miller each scored goals for NCFC, as head coach Dave Sarachan's team earned a valuable point away from home at one of the toughest places to play in the USL Championship. Entering Saturday's match, Saint Louis held a 3W-1L-1D record at home.
With the result, NCFC improved to 7W-2L-6D (27 points) and remained in fifth place in the Eastern Conference standings.
In a battle between two of the league's toughest defenses, neither side could get much going during the game's opening stages, but that changed in the 32nd minute. Out on the left flank, Miller played in a cross that Ewolo tracked down and headed to the far post, leaving Saint Louis goalkeeper Tomas Gomez helpless and giving NCFC the game's first goal.
After holding the hosts to just one shot on target in the first half, NCFC took a 1-0 advantage into halftime. Out of the break, Saint Louis pulled even in the 47th minute on a goal by Albert Dikwa.
Unaffected by the new scoreline, NCFC immediately pushed hard for another go-ahead goal. In the 58th minute, the Miller-to-Ewolo connection nearly paid off again, as Miller's service led to Ewolo forcing Saint Louis's Gomez into an uncomfortable save.
Eventually, NCFC regained the lead in the 81st minute, courtesy of Miller. After a pass from left back Caleb Duvernay, Miller let loose on a shot that took a deflection before finding the back of the net.
In the 88th minute, NCFC's Ewolo went down with an injury but play continued as Saint Louis earned a penalty kick. Saint Louis' Sam Fink scored from the penalty spot in the 91st minute, as the hosts made it a 2-2 game.
Neither side could find a decisive goal from that point on, as NCFC secured a road draw.
Fact to Know
Miller's performance Saturday marked the second time this season he's recorded both a goal and an assist in a match.
- Steven Miller now leads NCFC with four assists this season. Miller's five goals are second only to Marios Lomis' six.
- Donovan Ewolo scored his second goal of the season, his first since NCFC's season-opening win against Louisville City FC on March 9.
- Rookie defender Caleb Duvernay recorded his first USL Championship point with his second-half assist.
- NCFC rookie midfielder Austin Panchot, a St. Louis native, appeared as a substitute. Midfielders Victor Igbekoyi and Graham Smith also appeared as second-half substitutes.
- NCFC's youth-to-pro pipeline was on full display as NCFC Academy alumni DJ Taylor, Caleb Duvernay and Dre Fortune started alongside former NCFC U-23 standouts Nazmi Albadawi and Alex Comsia.
- With the result, NCFC has 15 road points this season (4W-2L-3D).
NCFC returns to Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park to face Nashville SC on Saturday, June 29, at 7 p.m. NCFC is unbeaten at home this season, going 3W-0L-3D. Last season, NCFC earned a 3-3 draw against Nashville the last time the two teams played in Cary.
STL (4-4-2): Tomas Gomez; Bradley Kamden Fewo, Phanuel Kavita, Sam Fink ©, Matt Bahner; Russell Cicerone, Paris Gee (Kadeem Dacres, 46'), Guy Abend, Lewis Hilton; Caleb Calvert (Albert Dikwa, 46'), Kyle Greig (Austin Martz, 78')
Subs not used: Sean Reynolds, Jake Fenlason
NCFC (4-2-3-1): Alex Tambakis; Caleb Duvernay, Aaron Guillen, Alex Comsia, DJ Taylor; Nazmi Albadawi (Graham Smith, 65'), Dre Fortune (Victor Igbekoyi, 85'); Steven Miller ©, Ben Speas, Yamikani Chester; Donovan Ewolo (Austin Panchot, 90')
Subs not used: Darrin MacLeod, Timmy Mehl, Sam Brotherton, Duval Wapiwo
STL: Albert Dikwa (Guy Abend, 47'), Sam Fink (penalty, 90+1')
NCFC: Donovan Ewolo (Steven Miller, 32'), Steven Miller (Caleb Duvernay, 81')
STL: Russell Cicerone 62'
NCFC: Dre Fortune 46'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 22, 2019
- United earn a hard fought point in Carson - New Mexico United
- Charlotte Match Louisville, Extend Unbeaten Streak to Three - Charlotte Independence
- STLFC Comes Back to Earn 2-2 Draw against North Carolina FC - Saint Louis FC
- T2 Earn 2-0 Road Win against Orange County SC Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Legion FC Settle for Draw vs. Hartford Athletic - Birmingham Legion FC
- Battery, Swope Park Draw 1-1 After Delayed Start - Charleston Battery
- Phoenix Rising FC too Much for Energy FC - OKC Energy FC
- Memphis 901 FC Sees Sold out Crowd for Historic International Friendly against C.F. Pachuca at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Phoenix Rising Makes It Seven Straight Wins - Phoenix Rising FC
- NCFC Extends Unbeaten Run in League Play with Road Draw at Saint Louis FC - North Carolina FC
- Nashville SC Extends Unbeaten Run in Thrilling 3-3 Draw with Ottawa Fury FC - Nashville SC
- Steel FC plays first match in the Lehigh Valley in 2019 - Philadelphia Union II
- Fury FC Waltzes to 9 Straight Unbeaten with Character-Building 3-3 Draw in Nashville - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Roll Past Red Bulls II, 3-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- More Late Game Magic Helps Indy Eleven to 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Indy Eleven
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 1-0 to Indy Eleven - Atlanta United 2
- Alioune Diakhate's 84th minute Goal Makes the Difference - Indy Eleven
- Gameday: Rowdies Visit Bethlehem - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Louisville City Preps for Unknown vs. Charlotte - Louisville City FC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Nashville SC
- Fresno FC Holds off San Antonio for 3-2 Win on Fuego Friday - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina FC Set to Return to Play with Schedule Announcement
- North Carolina FC Included in USL's National ESPN2 Broadcast Lineup
- USL Championship Announces Eastern Conference Groups
- North Carolina Football Club Announces Partnership with IQONIQ
- North Carolina FC Signs Shane De Leon and Nicholas Holliday to Academy Contract