NC Courage Extend Defender Kaleigh Kurtz Through 2025
CARY, N.C. - The North Carolina Courage have reached an agreement with defender Kaleigh Kurtz on a three-year, guaranteed contract extension through 2025. The five-year veteran - all with the Courage - had a club option for 2023, which was exercised, but the two sides have agreed to a long-term deal.
Kurtz earned Iron Woman status in 2022, playing every minute of the NWSL regular season, at center back. She was one of only seven players across the league to do so this season. She posted 86 clearances, 27 blocks and 20 interceptions while winning 61% of her duels. Kurtz connected 1,015 successful passes at an 84% success rate, including a 52.2% success rate on long passes. She also contributed to the attack, scoring three goals on the season - the first goals of her career - and had one assist. She also played in eight Challenge Cup matches this past season to help the Courage take home the title.
"We are thrilled to sign Kaleigh to a long term contract. As a result of her incredible work ethic and desire for daily improvement, she has continued to grow every year as a pro. She's established herself as one of the best defenders in the NWSL," said Chief Soccer Officer Curt Johnson. "Kaleigh is a fan-favorite who is known for her incredible commitment to the Courage on and off the field."
Prior to her professional career, Kurtz was a four-year standout at the University of South Carolina, earning SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior. She signed with the Courage prior to the 2018 season, playing 540 minutes across six matches. Her minutes have grown in every full professional season since, culminating in the Iron Woman 1,980 minutes in 2022.
Season tickets for the Courage 2023 season are on sale now. The Early Bird rates are available through January 9 and season-ticket memberships come with exclusive discounts and experiences. For more information, or to reserve your space to see Kurtz and the Courage, call (919) 459-8144 or visit www.nccourage.com/season-tickets.
Images from this story
North Carolina Courage defender Kaleigh Kurtz
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 28, 2022
- San Diego Wave FC to Participate in Feeding San Diego's Giving Tuesday Telethon - San Diego Wave FC
- NC Courage Extend Defender Kaleigh Kurtz Through 2025 - North Carolina Courage
- Gotham FC Signs Goalkeeper Abby Smith to Three-Year Contract - NJ/NY Gotham FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina Courage Stories
- NC Courage Acquire Japanese Midfielder Narumi Miura
- NC Courage Announce 2023 Preseason Roster
- NC Courage Re-Sign Goalkeeper Katelyn Rowland on Three-Year Deal
- NC Courage Acquire Defender Emily Fox in Trade with Racing Louisville
- NC Courage Re-Sign Forward Brittany Ratcliffe for 2023 Season