Naturals Hang on for Series Opening Win
SPRINGDALE, Ark - Coming off a tough road trip to Springfield where they dropped four consecutive games, Northwest Arkansas was in need of a key win. The Naturals (5-20, 40-55) scored four runs in the first three innings and were able to hang on for a key series opening win over the first-place Tulsa Drillers (19-7, 53-43) on Thursday night at Arvest Ballpark.
The pitching made the difference for Northwest Arkansas, which allowed them to hold on for the victory. Naturals' starter Foster Griffin (W, 4-12) was really good and kept the high-powered Drillers' offense at bay. The lefty tossed 6.0 innings of two-run baseball while striking out six to snap a person 0-6 skid and earn his first victory since June 11 in North Little Rock.
Griffin exited the game in the seventh with a 4-2 lead before Gabe Speier (H, 3) and Andres Machado (S, 2) did the rest. Outside of a Tulsa run in the eighth, the bullpen duo limited the visitors to just a run on five hits over the final three frames.
Tulsa struck first in the opener as Cael Brockmeyer singled home a run in the second for an early 1-0 lead. Northwest Arkansas would respond with a run of their own in the home half as Corey Toups delivered a RBI single to plate Nick Dini and tie it at 1-1.
More fireworks occurred in the third as Tulsa retook the lead. Errol Robinson worked a lead-off walk and then came into score on a RBI double by Luke Raley for the 2-1 advantage. It would be short-lived though as the Naturals responded with three, two-out runs in their turn at bat. Alex Liddi tied the game with a solo home run, his 16th of the season, to right-center field. With two on, Anderson Miller delivered a run-scoring single before Dini scored to make it 4-2 on a defensive miscue by the Drillers.
The game would remain 4-2 into the eighth before Tulsa would cut it to a one-run game. The first three batters reached base via singles with the last being a second RBI knock for Brockmeyer. Naturals' Manager Mike Rojas would summon Machado from the bullpen with two on and nobody out and Machado would respond with a strikeout and an inning-ending double play.
Parker Curry (L, 1-2) got the start for Tulsa and took the loss after allowing four runs, three earned, on six hits in 6.0 innings.
The victory snapped a 7-game losing streak for Northwest Arkansas as they get ready for seven home games in the next 6 days.
Northwest Arkansas will continue their series against the Tulsa Drillers, the Double-A Affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers, with Game 2 of this 4-game set tomorrow night - Friday, July 20 - with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m. for Military Appreciation Night on Fireworks Friday presented by Black Hills Energy. The Naturals will send RHP Pedro Fernandez (3-2, 3.64 ERA) to the mound while the Drillers have yet to name a starter. Catch the live play-by-play action with the Voice of the Naturals Benjamin Kelly on KQSM - 92.1 The Ticket starting at 6:45 p.m. for the Indigo Sky Casino Pregame Show.
Follow the Northwest Arkansas Naturals on Facebook and Twitter @NWANaturals all throughout the year by using the hashtag #NaturalPastime and #CrowntoCrown for all of our up-to-date information on the 2018 season of Naturals baseball.
The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are the Double-A Texas League Affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. The Naturals play at state-of-the-art Arvest Ballpark in Springdale, Ark. For more information, including statistics, ticket options, and more, please visit NWANaturals.com, and follow us on Twitter @NWANaturals and Facebook.com/Naturals.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 19, 2018
- Naturals Edge Drillers 4-3 - Tulsa Drillers
- Missions Take Series Opener Thursday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Hang on for Series Opening Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Grab Bag Theme Tix, First Pitch Auction, Joe Torre Safe at Home Partnership - Springfield Cardinals
- Homestand Highlights: July 19 - July 25 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Home July 23-25 for Short Homestand - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Drop Series Finale to RoughRiders - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Rally Late to Take Series - Arkansas Travelers
- Warner, Arozarena Lead Cardinals to 4-Game Sweep of Naturals - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Win After Big Trade - Tulsa Drillers
- Davis Shuts Down Hooks to Clinch Series - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northwest Arkansas Naturals Stories
- Naturals Announce 'Season of Giving' for December
- Royals Announce Jecksson Flores and Jake Newberry as Naturals 2018 Player and Pitcher of the Year
- Flores Claims Batting Title But Naturals Fall in Finale
- Naturals Secure Final Series with Walk-Off Win
- Naturals Kick-Off Final Series with Victory