Nashville SC Acquires Forrest Lasso on Loan from FC Cincinnati
NASHVILLE - Nashville Soccer Club announced on Thursday, July 25, that it has acquired defender Forrest Lasso on loan from MLS' FC Cincinnati for the remainder of the 2019 season, pending league approval.
Lasso has spent the 2018 and 2019 seasons with FC Cincinnati, making the jump from the USL Championship to MLS with the club. In 2018, he started 29 matches and was the rock of the defense behind Cincinnati's regular season league championship en route to being named USL Defender of the Year. At the MLS level this season, Lasso has made five appearances, including four starts. His first MLS start came in a 2-0 Cincinnati win over the New England Revolution.
"I think he's as good, if not the best centerback that I saw last year in this league," Head Coach Gary Smith said. "Very dominant as an individual. He brings tremendous presence to any group, and I thought he led that back line for Cincinnati extremely well last year. My hope is that he can offer us the same sort of guidance and physical stature. I think he's been very unfortunate not to get more opportunities in that Cincinnati side. But, given the circumstances there, it's opened the door for us."
Prior to his stint in Cincinnati, Lasso began his professional career with the Charleston Battery. From 2015-17, he made 62 appearances, including 45 starts, and scored 10 goals across all competitions. Six of those goals came in 2017 in a campaign that earned him USL All-League First Team honors. He played college soccer at Wofford before turning pro in 2015.
He squared off against Nashville SC four times last season with FC Cincinnati, including in the opening round of the 2018 USL Cup Playoffs. In all four matches, Lasso played every minute allowing Smith and the technical staff to get a good look at Lasso throughout the campaign.
"It's easy to see the physical stature of the guy," Smith said of the 6'6'', 210 lb. defender. "That in itself offers a terrific presence in that back line. I think he was a lynchpin of a very good defensive unit. There were other good defenders in there as well, of course. But I think what he offers aerially at both ends of the field is a threat in a goal scoring sense, and he's also a great asset defensively. But I think it's more than that. I think he controls a defensive group far better than maybe he's given credit for. And of course, he's one of those guys that leads by example. A really good addition and some tremendous competition in our back line now, which I think is very important."
Lasso is expected to be available for selection for this Saturday's match at Nissan Stadium against Indy Eleven kicking off at 7 p.m. CT. Tickets are still available below.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 25, 2019
- Match Preview vs. RGV FC Toros - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Academy Forward Rafael Jauregui Called Up to U.S. Under-15 Boys' National Team - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Takes the Pitch at Nissan Stadium against Indy Eleven on Saturday - Nashville SC
- OCSC Host Sacramento Republic for Second Annual Beerfest - Orange County SC
- North Carolina FC Returns Home to Face Atlanta United 2 on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- STLFC Signs Academy Player Nikiphoros Vlastos to Professional Contract - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: #NYvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Foxes Sign Former U-23s Midfielder Suleiman Samura - Fresno FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Orange County Gets Hot to Stop Reno 1868 - Orange County SC
- Hackworth Focused on Early Intensity - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Continues Development of Youth Soccer in the Borderland Region - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Guenzatti Named to Championship Team of the Week - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Indy Eleven Becomes First Professional Soccer Club to Partner with Learfield IMG College Ticket Solutions - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Acquires Forrest Lasso on Loan from FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Late wonder goal undoes Republic FC's second-half comeback - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns 4-1 Home Victory over Las Vegas Lights FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Lose Tough Road Battle at Tacoma - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital