Foxes Sign Former U-23s Midfielder Suleiman Samura
FRESNO, Calif. - Fresno Football Club announced Thursday it has signed midfielder Suleiman Samura for the remainder of the 2019 USL Championship season, pending league and federation approval. Samura, 22, becomes the fourth player from the 2018 Fresno FC U-23s side to joins the Foxes' pro roster. Samura will wear the No. 16.
He recently played with Laredo Heat SC of the National Premier Soccer League, making seven starts. In 2018, Samura made three appearances with the Fresno FC U-23s and scored a goal in the club's 3-1 win over Southern California Seahorses. He went on trial with the pro side at the end of the 2018 USL League Two season and was featured in the club's exhibition against the Vancouver Whitecaps reserves. With Laredo, Samura made seven starts during the 2019 NPSL season.
"Sully is another player from our U-23s that I liked and kept my eye on. He's very hardworking, physical and able to cove a lot of ground in that middle area and create some problems," Smith said. "I've been very happy with him, seeing growth and maturity and confidence. The next test is if he can earn his stripes and get minutes."
Fresno FC is in the second half of its USL Championship regular season. The Foxes are in third place in the Western Conference and play at Austin Bold FC this Saturday, July 27. Fresno FC returns to Chukchansi Park the following weekend, against Las Vegas Lights for Hometown Heroes Night on Saturday, August 3. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for the match are available now at 559-320-2525, FresnoFC.com and the Chukchansi Park box office.
Name: Suleiman Samura
Country: Sierra Leone
How Acquired: Free Agent
Last club: Laredo Heat SC (NPSL)/Fresno FC U-23s
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 25, 2019
- Match Preview vs. RGV FC Toros - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Academy Forward Rafael Jauregui Called Up to U.S. Under-15 Boys' National Team - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Takes the Pitch at Nissan Stadium against Indy Eleven on Saturday - Nashville SC
- OCSC Host Sacramento Republic for Second Annual Beerfest - Orange County SC
- North Carolina FC Returns Home to Face Atlanta United 2 on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- STLFC Signs Academy Player Nikiphoros Vlastos to Professional Contract - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: #NYvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Foxes Sign Former U-23s Midfielder Suleiman Samura - Fresno FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Orange County Gets Hot to Stop Reno 1868 - Orange County SC
- Hackworth Focused on Early Intensity - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Continues Development of Youth Soccer in the Borderland Region - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Guenzatti Named to Championship Team of the Week - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Indy Eleven Becomes First Professional Soccer Club to Partner with Learfield IMG College Ticket Solutions - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Acquires Forrest Lasso on Loan from FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Late wonder goal undoes Republic FC's second-half comeback - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns 4-1 Home Victory over Las Vegas Lights FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Lose Tough Road Battle at Tacoma - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview