Morrow goes five strong innings for Tacoma in 4-1 win over Beavers
PORTLAND, Ore. - Brandon Morrow pitched five scoreless innings, Matt Tuiasosopo had a two-run double and the Tacoma Rainiers beat the Portland Beavers 4-1 before 5,543 Saturday night at PGE Park.
The Rainiers, who have won eight straight and 10 of their last 12, are now just one game behind division-leading Colorado Springs, which suffered a 14-2 defeat to Salt Lake on Saturday night.
Morrow (5-2) allowed just four hits and a walk in his five innings for his fifth straight win, while Oswaldo Navarro was 3-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored to extend his hitting streak to eight games for the Rainiers (69-66).
Tuiasosopo's two-run double gave the Rainiers the early lead in the top of the third. RBI singles by Mike Carp and Chris Shelton in the fifth doubled Tacoma's lead to 4-0.
The Beavers (57-78), who have dropped eight in a row to Tacoma, mounted a rally in the sixth. A pair of walks and a single by Edgar Gonzalez loaded the bases and allowed Valentino Pascucci to drive in Russ Adams with a force out. Portland was unable to capitalize any further, though.
Mike Koplove struck out two in the ninth on his way to notching his second save for Tacoma.
Cesar Carrillo (0-3) took the loss for Portland, allowing four runs, seven hits and three walks while striking out five in six innings of work.
The Beavers and Rainiers close out their series Sunday at PGE Park. First pitch is 2:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 29, 2009
- Morrow goes five strong innings for Tacoma in 4-1 win over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Bees Blast Sky Sox, 14-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Cubs win over RedHawks - Iowa Cubs
- Z's blank Royals - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville edges Round Rock with slam - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes for August 29 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Loux returns to Salt Lake, Fish reassigned to Rancho Cucamonga - Salt Lake Bees
- 'Topes Hold Back 'Birds 8-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss