Monterey Bay F.C. Draws in 3-3 Shootout with Phoenix Rising FC at Cardinale Stadium
SEASIDE, California - Monterey Bay F.C. (12-14-3, 39 points) drew level at 3-3 against Phoenix Rising FC (9-15-6, 33 points) at Cardinale Stadium. Christian Volesky scored a brace for the Crisp and Kelp in the match, while Grant Robinson added his first professional goal to help the Union to a point on the night.
Access the postgame quote sheet here
Monterey Bay F.C. created an opportunity in the 7th minute of the match when Simon Dawkins whipped the ball across the box from the left side, but the pass missed the outstretched foot of Mobi Fehr by inches. In the 9th minute of the match, Robinson passed a long ball over the top and out in front of Sam Gleadle. Gleadle took a single dribble before laying the ball off across the box towards Volesky for the powerful finish to put the Union on the board first. Six minutes later, Phoenix Rising FC earned a penalty inside the left endline and converted to equalize the match at 1-1. Then in the 20th minute, James Murphy pushed a perfectly weighted ball out in front of a long run down the left side of the pitch by Robinson, who then took a dribble and smashed the left-footed shot into the back of the net to retake the lead for the Crisp and Kelp. Phoenix earned another penalty in the 40th minute of the match, however, and Aodhan Quinn converted it to level the score once again, this time at 2-2. With a minute left in the first half, Monterey Bay F.C. earned a corner kick. After Rising FC failed to clear the ball, it bounced around the box and forced a save out of the goalkeeper. With the ball pushed back into play, Volesky punished the spill in the box and buried the ball into the left side of the net to put the Union back in front once again and the sides entered the break with the score line at 3-2.
Monterey Bay F.C. started the second half with an opportunity at goal right away, but Dawkins' shot was saved at the bottom left of the frame. In the 52nd minute, Volesky found Fehr beyond the Phoenix back line, but after making a move to round the goalkeeper, Fehr could not get the shot off before slipping in the box and the play was blown dead for an inadvertent handball. Phoenix equalized for a third time in the 75th minute of the match when Greg Hurst scored from the right side of the box to bring the score to 3-3. In the 90+1 minute of the match, second-half substitute Seku Conneh drew the first penalty of the season for the Union. However, when he stepped up to the spot, his shot missed over the crossbar and the match ended level.
Up Next: Monterey Bay F.C. travels to Westchester, Florida on a quick turnaround to take on Miami FC at Riccardo Silva Stadium this Saturday, September 24 at 4 p.m. PT. The match can be streamed live on ESPN+.
- Defender Grant Robinson scored his first professional goal to cap off a long run down the left side of the pitch in the 20th minute of the match.
- Monterey Bay F.C. was awarded its first penalty kick of the season in the 90+1 minute.
- Missing the match due to injury were Rafi Díaz (shoulder), Jason Johnson (quad), and Arun Basuljevic (hamstring).
Match: Monterey Bay F.C. vs Phoenix Rising FC
Date: September 21, 2022
Venue: Cardinale Stadium; Seaside, California
Weather: Clear and 63 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Monterey Bay F.C. 3 0 3
Phoenix Rising FC 2 1 3
MB: Christian Volesky (Sam Gleadle) 9'
PHX: Aodhan Quinn (PK) 15'
MB: Grant Robinson (James Murphy) 20'
PHX: Aodhan Quinn (PK) 40'
MB: Christian Volesky 44'
PHX: Greg Hurst (Arturo Rodriguez) 75'
Monterey Bay F.C. (4-2-3-1): Antony Siaha; Grant Robinson, Hugh Roberts, Kai Greene, Morey Doner; James Murphy (Hunter Gorskie, 86'), Mobi Fehr; Simon Dawkins, Sam Gleadle, Chase Boone (Walmer Martínez, 71'); Christian Volesky (Seku Conneh, 82')
Subs not used: Carlos Herrera, , Jiro Barriga Toyama, Adrian Rebollar, Chris Cortez
Phoenix Rising FC (4-3-3): Benjamin Lundt; Baboucarr Njie, Hayden Sargis, James Musa, Darnell King; Luis Seijas (Carlos Anguiano, 70'), Aodhan Quinn, Kevon Lambert; Arturo Rodriguez (Richmond Antwi, 86'), JJ Williams (Greg Hurst, 70'), Santi Moar
Subs not used: Edward Delgado, Joseph Farrell, Joseph Calistri, Lamin Jawneh
Stats Summary: MB / PHX
Shots: 19 / 7
Shots on Goal: 9 / 3
Saves: 0 / 6
Corner Kicks: 5 / 4
Fouls: 14 / 11
Possession: 40.8% / 59.2%
PHX: Arturo Rodriguez (caution) 23'
PHX: James Musa (caution) 45'
PHX: Luis Seijas (caution) 50'
PHX: Hayden Sargis (caution) 58'
MB: Ramiro Corrales, Assistant Coach (caution) 59'
PHX: Kevon Lambert (caution) 65'
MB: Grant Robinson (caution) 72'
Referee: Malik Badawi
Assistant Referee: Karsten Gillwald
Assistant Referee: Andrew Hanks
Fourth Official: Robert Vincze
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2022
- Club Statement: September 22, 2022 - Monterey Bay FC
- Toros Head East for First Ever Meeting with Charleston Battery - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Medical Update: Lee Desmond - Sacramento Republic FC
- Maalique Foster's 28th Minute Score Voted Goal of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- FC Tulsa Signs 17-Year-Old Angel Bernal to Professional Contract - FC Tulsa
- Match Preview: Rowdies vs Birmingham - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC Recalls Midfielder Mario Penagos from FC Cincinnati 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Battery Add Charleston Natives Caden Theobald, Joel Bunting to Roster - Charleston Battery
- Match Preview: Republic FC v San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Battery Host Rio Grande Valley at Patriots Point on Friday - Charleston Battery
- What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Draws in 3-3 Shootout with Phoenix Rising FC at Cardinale Stadium - Monterey Bay FC
- Phoenix Rising Snatch 3-3 Draw from Monterey Bay FC - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.