Monarchs Fall, 6-1, on Super Bowl Sunday
READING, P.A. - The Manchester Monarchs fell one game short of the weekend sweep, with a 6-1 loss to the Reading Royals, Sunday afternoon at Santander Arena.
The Monarchs (24-20-1-1) could not keep pace with the Royals (20-16-3-5) as they scored three first-period goals and topped the Monarchs, 6-1.
The Royals scored first at 2:36 of the first period when Joe Hauk scored his third goal of the season. Skating into the zone one-on-one, Hauk wristed the puck over the shoulder of Monarchs goaltender Cole Kehler, to make the score, 1-0.
The Royals scored again at 3:59 of the first when Adam Schmidt scored his 13th of the season. After Steve Johnson's shot was deflected behind the net, Schmidt rifled a shot from the right circle and beat Kehler on the blocker side, making the score, 2-0.
The Royals increased their lead at 17:13 of the first period when Frank DiChiara scored his 13th of the season on a power-play goal with the one-timer from the top of the right circle, making the score, 3-0.
The Royals scored again at 11:46 of the second period when Brayden Low scored his eighth of the season, on the power play. After connecting with a pass from Alex Roos, Low skated into the bottom of the right circle and roofed a back-hander, past Kehler, making the score, 4-0.
The Monarchs got on the board at 12:56 of the second period when Spencer Watson scored his 17th of the season. Chris Carlisle took possession of the puck off the faceoff and found Watson with a pass, where he wristed the shot past Royals goaltender, Callum Booth, to make the score 4-1.
The Royals added two more goals in the third period, the first by Jack Riley, his sixth of the season at 9:04 and the second by Tyson Fawcett, his fourth of the season, at 15:13, to end the scoring, 6-1.
The Monarchs return to action Friday, February 8 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Wheeling Nailers at SNHU Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 3, 2019
- Royals Find Winning Solution in 6-1 Rout of Monarchs - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Fall, 6-1, on Super Bowl Sunday - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - February 3 - ECHL
- Thunder Defeat Grizzlies 5-4 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Set for Sunday Rematch vs. Manchester - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rallies for OT Win vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Unbeaten Streak Ends in Physical Affair at Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories
- Manchester Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $7,500 to Elliot Hospital
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory
- Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $5,000 to CMC Breast Care Center
- Monarchs Comeback against Admirals with 3-2 Overtime Victory