Missions Put It All Together in Rout of Naturals
A well-balanced offense and a strong start from Cal Quantrill helped San Antonio roll to a 9-1 victory over Northwest Arkansas Monday afternoon at Wolff Stadium.
Quantrill (1-1) and mound opponent, Foster Griffin, matched zeroes over the first two frames. However, in the third, the Missions made sure there would be no pitcher's duel, scoring the game's first four runs and knocking out Griffin (1-1) in the process.
Northwest Arkansas took advantage of an error to plate its only run of the contest in the fifth with a sacrifice fly from Kansas City Royals rehabber Salvador Perez, who was the Naturals' designated hitter Monday.
Quantrill's day was finished after five and it was a good effort. The talented righty allowed just the unearned run on four hits and one walk, while punching out four, lowering his ERA to a stingy 1.23 on the year.
The Missions broke the game open in the bottom of the fifth with another four-run uprising, highlighted by Ty France's two-RBI ground rule double to center. France finished with a game-high three RBI in addition to collecting his second three-hit effort of the homestand.
Leadoff hitter Forrestt Allday also collected a season-high three hits to go along with his first multi-run performance as a Mission. San Antonio had four players with multi-hit games, collecting a total of 12 hits in the win.
Austin Allen capped scoring in the sixth with an RBI-single to right.
The pen trio of Dillon Overton, Erik Johnson (joined club from Extended earlier in day) and Robert Stock limited the Naturals to just one hit over the final four innings.
San Antonio (7-4) concludes its first homestand of the season Tuesday with the series finale against Northwest Arkansas (4-7). First pitch on AARP $2 Tuesday is slated for 7:05 PM. San Diego rehabber Matt Strahm (0-0, 6.23) will get the start for the Missions, while the Naturals counter with fellow righty Zach Lovvorn (0-0, 5.87).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 16, 2018
- Santana and Ruiz Star in Drillers Victory - Tulsa Drillers
- Seferina's 4 RBIs Lead Cardinals Past RoughRiders, 6-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Missions Even Series with 9-1 Win over Naturals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Missions Put It All Together in Rout of Naturals - San Antonio Missions
- Pena's Strong Start Spoiled by Cardinals in 6-1 Loss - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Burl Yarbrough Named 2018 Bill Valentine Texas League Executive of the Year
- San Antonio Announces PDC with Milwaukee Through 2020
- Tulsa Completes Sweep with 5-2 Win, Closing Book on San Antonio's Texas League Era
- Tulsa Rallies for Two in Ninth to Steal Game 2, Put San Antonio on Brink
- Tulsa Outlasts San Antonio in Game 1 Thriller