Miracle Salvage Series, Blank Mets 4-0
FORT MYERS, Fla. (April 19, 2014) - The Fort Myers Miracle shut out the St. Lucie Mets 4-0 on Saturday night at Hammond Stadium to avoid a three-game sweep.
Fort Myers limited the high powered Mets' offense to just four hits. It was the Mets first loss to the Miracle this season in six games.
David Hurlbut pitched five scoreless innings to earn the win. He allowed just two singles to Albert Cordero and Aderlin Rodriguez.
Domingo Tapia gave up two runs in four innings for the Mets. Both runs he allowed came with two outs.
In the second, Travis Harrison reached on an infield single with two outs. Max Keppler drove him in with a double to right.
In the third, the Miracle struck again after Tapia got two quick outs. Jorge Polanco singled and Tapia walked Dalton Hicks and Adam Brett Walker to load the bases. Tapia then committed a balk to force home Polanco.
The Miracle scored their third two-out run against Paul Sewald in the fifth. With runners at the corners and two outs, catcher Albert Cordero dropped a strike, picked it up and tried to throw out Michael Gonzales leading off of first. The throw was wild and Polanco scored easily from third to make it 3-0.
The Miracle capped the scoring with a eighth on an RBI double by Harrison.
The Mets, the top offensive team in the league, got their only extra base hit on a double by Brandon Allen to lead off the ninth.
Dilson Herrera singled in the eighth to extend his hitting streak to 11 games.
The Mets (9-7) will take Easter off and return to Tradition Field on Monday to host the Palm Beach Cardinals at 6:30 p.m. Kids 12-and-under get in free.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 19, 2014
- Cardinals Take Down Stone Crabs in Offensive Shootout - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Garfield's Big Hit Leads 'Tees to 3-1 Victory - Brevard County Manatees
- Clearwater Swept After Loss in Extras - Clearwater Threshers
- Cardinals Spoil Short Roadtrip with 13-9 Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Miracle Salvage Series, Blank Mets 4-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Hurlbut, Bullpen Shutout Mets, 4-0, in Series Finale - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets Crush Miracle 15-9 - St. Lucie Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.