Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
The Colorado Rapids' playoff match came down to exactly what head coach Robin Fraser said it would: execution.
Though Colorado and Minnesota traded opportunities for much of their first-round 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoff match, the Loons were clinical with their finishing. Minnesota won 3-0 on two goals from leading scorer Kevin Molino and one from Robin Lod.
The Rapids started the match with positivity, getting several shots off in the early minutes to test Loons goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair. The Rapids forced six saves from St. Clair.
Much as he has throughout the season, Fraser relied upon the Rapids youngsters. 19-year-old Homegrown midfielder Cole Bassett became the youngest Rapids player to start a playoff game, and 2019 AT&T MLS Rookie of the Year Andre Shinyashiki also made his playoff debut. 21-year-old Homegrown defender Sam Vines became the third Rapids Homegrown to appear in a playoff match.
Rapids goalkeeper William Yarbrough made five saves, including several key one-on-one stops, in his first MLS Cup playoff match.
It was Colorado's first MLS Cup Playoff appearance since 2016, when the club advanced to the Western Conference Final. Head coach Robin Fraser became the first Rapids manager to lead his team to the postseason in his first full year in charge since Fernando Clavijo in 2005.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 22, 2020
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes eliminated after forcing No. 1 seed to penalty kicks - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting Edges San Jose in Playoff Thriller - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Shows Its Attacking Quality in 3-0 Playoff Win over Inter Miami CF - Nashville SC
- Timbers Play Host to FC Dallas in Round One Audi MLS Cup Playoff Match at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Face Sporting KC Today in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS
- Recapping the Rapids 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Philip Mayaka's Soccer Journey from Kenya to MLS
- Rapids Look to Continue Recent Success at 2021 MLS SuperDraft on January 21
- Sam Vines Continues to Impress USMNT Coaching Staff Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers