MetroStars And American Cancer Society Announce Dates of Second Annual 7 v. 7 Overnight Tourney
Secaucus, NJ (Wednesday, March 9, 2005) The MetroStars, in conjunction with the American Cancer Society, announced today they will be holding the second annual 7 v. 7 Overnight Soccer Tournament to help fund ACS cancer research and support programs for cancer patients and their families. The overnight tournament will be begin at 10:00 p.m. on June 25th and conclude at 6:00 a.m. on the 26th at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ.
The American Cancer Society is thrilled to be partnering with the MetroStars on their second annual Overnight Soccer Tournament. The event is a lot of fun for everyone that participates, on and off the field. said Jocelyn Inglis, Director of Special Events for the American Cancer Society. We are pleased that the MetroStars are once again demonstrating their commitment to fight cancer in our community.
Registration is open to 48 teams this year, with 10 players on each squad. There are two divisions, the A Series which is the competitive league and the B Series which is the recreational league. Teams compete on a scaled-down version of the field at Giants Stadium in a World Cup format. Both the A Series and the B Series will have groups of four clubs and the top team from each group advances to the next round. The final teams will play in a single elimination play-down.
Admission to this years tournament is $80 a player, or $800 per squad, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society. Along with the entry fee, teams will receive 20 tickets to the MetroStars July 9 contest versus Los Angeles Galaxy.
In last years tournament, 30 teams participated and raised more than $10,500 for ACS. More Fire Squad claimed the championship after defeating Weehawken Massive 4-1 in the finals.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2005
- Galaxy drop 1-0 decision to CA Osasuna - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MetroStars And American Cancer Society Announce Dates of Second Annual 7 v. 7 Overnight Tourney - New York Red Bulls
- U.S.-Mexico returns to Crew Stadium for World Cup qualifier - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake and Salt Lake Countys Three for All a success - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Uruguayan Midfielder Martin Morales and Rights to Striker Luchi Gonzalez - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Sign Boswell and Merritt - D.C. United
- Radio America Returns for Eighth Season as Spanish-Language Radio Partner With D.C. United - D.C. United
- Chivas USA falls to Atlante, 2-0 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Player List
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2018 Team Awards
- Red Bull Arena to Host U.S. Women's National Team and Mexico WNT in Send-Off Series
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Season Roster Updates
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Tyler Adams to RB Leipzig