D.C. United Sign Boswell and Merritt
Washington, D.C. (March 9, 2005) - Defenders Bobby Boswell and Tim Merritt both signed developmental roster contacts today with D.C. United. Per League and team policy, the terms of the deals were not disclosed. Boswell was acquired via a discovery pick, while Merritt was originally selected by United in the fourth round (48th overall) of the 2004 MLS SuperDraft.
We are very pleased to have both Bobby and Tim aboard for the season, said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. They have both shown during pre-season that they are quality players and we look forward to their contributions this season.
Boswell, a 22-year old defender from Florida International University started all 18 games during his senior year and was named to the 2004 NSCAA/adidas All-South First Team. As captain of the Golden Panthers he tallied eight points on three goals and two assists. He earned First Team All-Atlantic Soccer Conference honors as a junior in 2003.
Merritt is an attacking defender who played four years at the University of North Carolina, compiling 64 starts in 76 career appearances. The Hollywood, CA native was a member of the Tar Heels 2001 NCAA Championship team and received All-ACC Second Team honors in 2004 and 2003. He was also named to the NSCAA/adidas All-South Second Team during his senior season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2005
- Galaxy drop 1-0 decision to CA Osasuna - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MetroStars And American Cancer Society Announce Dates of Second Annual 7 v. 7 Overnight Tourney - New York Red Bulls
- U.S.-Mexico returns to Crew Stadium for World Cup qualifier - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake and Salt Lake Countys Three for All a success - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Uruguayan Midfielder Martin Morales and Rights to Striker Luchi Gonzalez - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Sign Boswell and Merritt - D.C. United
- Radio America Returns for Eighth Season as Spanish-Language Radio Partner With D.C. United - D.C. United
- Chivas USA falls to Atlante, 2-0 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- United Sign Antonio Bustamante to a Homegrown Contract
- D.C. United Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule
- D.C. United and Ben Olsen Sign Multi-Year Contract Extension
- United Select Two Players in Third Round of MLS SuperDraft
- United Acquire Goalkeeper Chris Seitz from Houston