Mercury Guard Essence Carson out 6-8 Weeks with Calf Injury
PHOENIX - Phoenix Mercury guard Essence Carson will miss six to eight weeks after sustaining a strain in her right calf during the Mercury's game on Saturday, July 20, at Dallas, the team has announced.
Carson signed with the Mercury prior to the start of the 2019 season and appeared in each of the Mercury's 17 games this summer, getting the start in 13 of them. The guard averaged 6.2 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in just over 20 minutes per game this season. Carson joined Leilani Mitchell, Briann January, DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner to post a 7-1 record this season with such starting five, and scored a team-high 20 points in the Mercury's home opener on May 31 against Las Vegas, including the go ahead three-pointer with 46 seconds remaining.
After coming within one win of trip to the WNBA Finals, the Phoenix Mercury return in 2019 in search of a league-record tying fourth WNBA title. Led by the All-Star trio of Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner and DeWanna Bonner, Phoenix looks to continue its title quest on July 23 against Indiana. Tickets for the Mercury's next home game on Tuesday, July 23 against the Indiana Fever, and the remaining nine home games, at Talking Stick Resort Arena can be purchased by calling 602.252.WNBA or by visiting PhoenixMercury.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 23, 2019
- Billings Career-Night Not Enough as Dream Fall to Sparks, 78-66 - Atlanta Dream
- Ruffin-Pratt's Career Night Propels Short-Handed Sparks - Los Angeles Sparks
- Captains Elena Delle Donne and A'ja Wilson Draft Rosters for AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019 - WNBA
- Aces Try to Regain Sole Possession of First Place Tuesday Night vs. Seattle - Las Vegas Aces
- Minnesota's Danielle Robinson Receives June WNBA Cares Community Assist Award Presented by State Farm - Minnesota Lynx
- Minnesota's Danielle Robinson Receives June WNBA Cares Community Assist Award Presented by State Farm - WNBA
- Mercury Guard Essence Carson out 6-8 Weeks with Calf Injury - Phoenix Mercury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Fifth Seed Clinched Mercury to Open Playoffs on Thursday at Grand Canyon University Arena
- MVP Candidate Brittney Griner Again Named Western Conference Player of the Week
- Mercury Back Home, Aiming for 11-Straight Wins Saturday against First-Place Connecticut
- Griner Named Western Conference Player of the Week
- Mercury Guaranteed Top-Six Seed in 2021 WNBA Playoffs