Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month for August
MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL - The WNBA today named Minnesota Lynx forward Maya Moore its Rookie of the Month for August. Moore captures the Rookie of the Month honor for the second time in as many months.
In 13 games in August (11-2), all starts, Moore led all rookies in scoring (12.3 ppg), rebounds (4.6 rpg), steals (1.8 spg), three-pointers (25) and minutes (27.2 mpg). She also ranked third in assists (2.2 apg) among first-year players. Her 25 made three-pointers this month were second-most in the WNBA, behind Renee Montgomery's 27. Moore scored a season-high 28 points, including going 6-of-6 from beyond the arc - tying a WNBA record for most made three-point field goals without a miss - on August 9 at Phoenix. That outing was one of four 18+ point games for the month for Moore. She tallied her first-career double-double with a 19-point, 12-rebound effort on Aug. 28 at San Antonio.
The first overall pick in the 2011 WNBA Draft, Moore has continued her strong rookie season, averaging 12.8 points and 4.6 rebounds for the league-leading Lynx (24-6).
Highlights of Moore's month include: * August 2nd vs. Phoenix: Made five three-pointers en route to scoring 22 points in Minnesota's 90-73 win over Phoenix. * August 9th at Phoenix: Scored a season-high 28 points in a loss at Phoenix. Went 6-of-6 from beyond the arc, tying a WNBA record for most three-point field goals made without a miss. * August 26th vs. San Antonio: Scored 18 points to go along with seven rebounds as the Lynx defeated San Antonio 85-75. * August 28th at San Antonio: Registered her first career double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds as the Lynx clinched the best record in the Western Conference with a 72-61 at San Antonio.
The Lynx, winners of six straight and 17 out of their last 19, can clinch the best overall record in the WNBA and home court advantage through the 2011 WNBA Playoffs with a win Friday night vs. New York. Tip at Target Center is set for 7:00 pm. With four games remaining, the Lynx (24-6) have a chance of tying the single-season WNBA record for wins (28 - Los Angeles, 2001 and 2002; Seattle, 2010).
Lower-level single-game tickets to Friday night's game and the Western Conference Semifinals can be purchased for as low as $10. Groups of 10 or more can purchase tickets for as little as $8. Tickets can be purchased by calling 612-673-8400, visiting the Lynx website at www.lynxbasketball.com and stopping by the Target Center Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets. Tickets can also be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 1-877-WNBA-TIX (962-2849).
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 1, 2011
- Sky Center Sylvia Fowles Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month - Chicago Sky
- Lindsay Whalen Named Western Conference Player of the Month - Minnesota Lynx
- Chicago's Fowles, Minnesota's Whalen Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Lynx Sign All-Star Forward Rebekkah Brunson to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Minnesota Lynx
- Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month for August - Minnesota Lynx
- Minnesota's Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Lynx Stories
- Jessica Shepard Surgery Update
- Lynx Assemble 'Dream Team', Introduce 5 Honorary Players
- WNBA All-Star Friday Night to Feature 3-Point Contest, Skills Challenge, and Beach Concert & Party
- Wolves, Lynx Promote Ryan Tanke to Chief Operating Officer
- Minnesota/New York Postgame Notes