Sky Center Sylvia Fowles Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month
CHICAGO, September 1, 2011 - Chicago Sky center Sylvia Fowles was named the WNBA's Eastern Conference Player of the Month for regular season games played in August.
Fowles kept Chicago (5-5 during August) in the race for a playoff berth, by ranking in the top three in five major statistical categories during August.
The former No. 2 selection in the 2008 WNBA Draft, Fowles led the league in rebounds (11.9 rpg) and field goal percentage (.680 on 83 of 122 shooting from the field), while ranking second in minutes played (35.0 mpg). She also ranked third in the WNBA and second in the Eastern Conference in scoring (20.5 ppg) and blocks (1.8 bpg).
Fowles scored in double figures in every game during the month, topping 20 points in six of 10 outings, and set a WNBA record for consecutive double-doubles in a single season with eight.
Highlights of Fowles' month included an outstanding three-game stretch:
Aug. 12 vs. Minnesota: Scored a game-high 28 points (including an 11-for-13 effort from the field and 6-for-6 shooting from the free throw line) and grabbed 13 rebounds.
Aug. 14 at San Antonio: Recorded a season-high 17 rebounds and a game-high 28 points (including 12-for-16 shooting from the field)
Aug. 20 at Washington: Tallied game- highs of 25 points and 11 boards
For the season, Fowles leads the WNBA in double-doubles (20), field goal percentage (.600) and blocks (2.17 bpg), ranks second in rebounding (10.3 rpg) and minutes played (34.6 mpg), and third in scoring (20.0 ppg).
Minnesota Lynx point guard Lindsay Whalen was named the Western Conference Player of the Month.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 1, 2011
- Sky Center Sylvia Fowles Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month - Chicago Sky
- Lindsay Whalen Named Western Conference Player of the Month - Minnesota Lynx
- Chicago's Fowles, Minnesota's Whalen Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Lynx Sign All-Star Forward Rebekkah Brunson to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Minnesota Lynx
- Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month for August - Minnesota Lynx
- Minnesota's Maya Moore Named Rookie of the Month - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Sky Stories
- Chicago Takes Down Indiana on the Road
- Chicago Sky Sign Victoria Macaulay
- Chicago Sky's Courtney Vandersloot Moves to Eighth on WNBA's All-Time Assists List
- Chicago Sky Waives Victoria Macaulay, Linnae Harper, Hind Ben Abdelkader
- Chicago Sky Acquire 2020 Pick from Minnesota for Alaina Coates